View Single Post
Old 06-03-16, 08:42 PM   #45
Big-Jay

Big-Jay has a spectacular aura aboutBig-Jay has a spectacular aura about
Hi guys,

Been down to the scrappy this weekend to pull a drivers side arch liner of a scrap ZS as the one on mine was broken.

Decided to change it out yesterday but when I removed what was left of the old one it all looked a bit crusty so I removed the wing to get a better look -

After a quick session with the wire cup on my grinder these are the results. The holes for the plastic screw clips that hold the arch liner up have rotted out -

So I cut out the rot -

This is where I was planning to weld some new metal in but to be honest I hate patch welding and would rather replace the complete panel if possible. So I had a quick look through rimmer brothers and found that I could buy the complete genuine valence reinforcement panel to the tune of £2.71 for the drivers side and £2.83 for the passengers which has also rotted out in the same place. Safe to say these are now ordered and on the the way.

Here's a link to rimmers website, the panels are numbers 6 & 7 if anyone was wondering - http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID003339

So now it's just a case of drilling out a few spot welds and replacing the complete panels. A bit more work but it'll be a much tidier job.

I removed the side skirt to have a closer look at the condition underneath -

All looked good with no rust what so ever until we got to the jacking point which looked very suspect -

Went at it with the grinder which revealed this -

I've very roughly cut the worst of the rot out and sprayed a bit of zinc primer on for the time being until I source some thicker gauge steel to repair this area -

To be fair, I was expecting it to be worse than what it was but its really not too bad at all, believe me I've seen a lot worse !

I haven't checked the passenger side jacking point yet but I'm guessing it's probably going to be in similar condition.
Big-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote