View Single Post
Old 22-06-19, 09:56 PM   #35
JOHNDQ

JOHNDQ is on a distinguished road
Little update, had a ZR Key, ignition barrel and door lock so ive stripped them out and put them in the ZS housings so got a matching set of keys now. I had a bit of a surprise on the car tho in terms of a fairly bad rust patch. I new it was there as it was advised on the last MOT but was worse than i expected as on my ZS Hatch which is used daily there isnt any corrosion on the jacking points. So to address the issue i removed the side skirt and the drivers front wing. The strange thing is on the nearside and on my Hatch the jacking point and floor section are coated with the dimpled under-seal stuff which is missing on the drivers side There is defo not any signs of any repairs etc there so dont know if it was missed at the factory etc as its just painted (ive checked the build info the car came of the line on a Friday night ) Anyway this was what i was faced with....

IMG_20190622_181250~2 by John Quincey, on Flickr

Luckily after my heart attack had passed i took it all back to metal and it looks worse than it was. The metal is still solid as is the inside of the panel and most came back up to a clean surface with a 40 grit flap disc. So ive treated the metal, gave it 2 good coats of good zinc primer followed by a coat of sealer to give the zinc time to work, now will leave it a week before taking it all back to metal again and doing it correctly so matches the correct factory finish....

IMG_20190622_200808~2 by John Quincey, on Flickr
JOHNDQ is offline   Reply With Quote