View Single Post
Old 30-07-12, 11:20 PM   #28
guru

guru will become famous soon enough
Sorry to hear about this, which part of our fair county did it happen in?

Sadly much as the other driver should be prosecuted I think that without having a police attendance so they could take statements etc it will be very hard to prove. Personally I would have called them and then if the other driver left before they arrived reported him for failing to stop at the scene of an accident. When a Renault Clio drove into me a few years back I made him stop and give me his details. When I asked for his insurance company he became vague and I started to worry that he wasn't insured. He said that he'd give me a call later with the details to which my answer was 'you've got 2 options, either give me your insurance details now or I assume you're uninsured and call the police'. Thankfully after some frantic calls he managed to get me his policy number which I checked with my insurers who confirmed it was genuine. If you're not sure, I think a top tip in those situations is to get your insurers on the phone and let them talk you through what to do, they should know how to handle an accident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-81 View Post
i've read on another thread that you can fight to have the car fixed as it wasn't your fault i can't remember who it was though
Indeed, especially if the car was unique in some way...........monogram for instance
In that situation they may just make an inflated offer for the car just to get the matter dealt with. Also bear in mind that all the time your car is off the road you should be claiming for a company car on the other party's insurance. Even if you don't need the car it's still worth doing as it means they will try to resolve the claim quicker as it's costing them money and are even more likely to offer more to stop long discussions about it!

Finally the golden rule when dealing with a written off car is to never accept their first offer!!!!! When my Lexus Soarer was written off by being rear ended a few years back I managed to squeeze £5500 out of the insurance, which I didn't think was bad for a car that I picked up from auction a few months earlier for £3500! Hope it all works out.
2003 mk1 ZT-T with LPG
2004 mk2 ZS 180 with LPG
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with LPG
guru is offline   Reply With Quote