Thread: v8 zs
View Single Post
Old 01-11-12, 07:17 AM   #8
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Having done a couple of V8 conversions I would definately say go RWD as from your description it reads still FWD and that is no good. RWD will require re-fabricating the bulkhead, transmission tunnel and work around the rear end to take an axle or independant suspension etc. It is possible and the only limiting factor is skill in carrying it out.

I carried out a switch on my track Vauxhall Chevette from 1256cc to 1900 Manta to Rover V8. The whole front end was removed so as to get the engine in as far back and as low as possible to keep the balance right.
Engine mounts were fabricated.

New bulkhead and transmission tunnel fabricated.
New propshaft was made.
New pedal box and remote servo.
Modified steering column.
Custom manifolds.
Suspension changed.
Exhaust system.
Wiring loom.
Fuel lines.
Fuel tank moved and or custom made if fouling.

I would say do it as it is on my wishlist of ideal mods to a ZS that would take it to a whole different level.