View Single Post
Old 21-04-10, 05:36 PM   #45
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Right quick update..

I have come to the conclusion there is almost nothing out there that will give me the daily drivability i am after without needing a lot of extra work to get it to fit...

As VNT is not an option (yet) i have decided on the pressure release system.

However after speaking to Grant (GBE) he has given me a few pointers to try and get this to work correctly...

Firstly he expects to see EMP spiking well above the boost pressure, so as i am running 25-26PSI on the intake side i can expect to see spikes of around 35-45PSI...

Due to this, there will never be any form of boost controller that i will find that will work - as they are all designed to keep boost steady at high rpm not dump pressure at high rpm...

So what we are going to go for a decent external wastegate with a restrictor plate bolted on the exhaust manifold (at the EGR point) - the dimentions of this are going to be a bit trial and error though - so a high temp valve may well be the best bet...

then the same thing on the other side of the wastegate - if the spring on the wastegate is high enough to resist the main spike and the pipework doesn't allow much flow through it. we should be able to dump the excess backpressure.

So the good news is that costs are looking at the £60 for a decent 38mm wastegate and then some pipeing\adaptor plates to be made up...

Other possibly good news is that rally_matt might be able to get his hands on soemthing decent to record the EMP's directly...

If and when the trial and error is all worked out, i will then plumb it into the downpipe so it passes MOT's

reading around some of the TDiclub posts (big VAG tuner forum) i might even see a nice jump in bhp if the balance is got right
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote