View Single Post
Old 23-08-12, 10:26 AM   #28
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred68 View Post
A 180 is a performance saloon even if the engine is'nt that powerful for it's size!! It does have a capacity advantage so It's faster than Fords ST 170 by a quite a margin and that's a Hot Hatch
Depends what you class as performance. I wouldnt call the Kv6 a performance engine, that would make the freelander a performance car! But my point was its a large engine for its power, its a lazy V6. Has a lower specific output and BMEP compared to say the ST (52.5Kw/L vs 63.75Kw/L). So its not as highly tuned to maximise its volumetric efficiency and therefore you probably wouldnt notice the difference between 95ron and 99ron. I suggest most of it is a placebo like when people say the car feels more responsive with a full tank of fuel, chances are they are using more gas as not watching the fuel gauge.

Think the engines that notice it most are highly tuned sports bike engines for example the zx6r which has have over double the zs specific output at 134.85Kw/L by producing 107bhp from a tiny 600cc engine.

I stick in what evers close when I hit the redline.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote