View Single Post
Old 23-11-12, 05:31 PM   #9
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Now I've stressed you out with the above post I'll give you a sensible answer.

The O/E filter is a perfect heat soak.
I found that it would be okay as long as the cars was totally cold when you started and would remain a little above ambiant as long as you kept moving but once you stopped for a couple of hours or got into town traffic the tempreture would go up and never come down.

I wasn't convinced that maintaing the O/E location for an enclosed filter or running hose down the radiator to a remote filter would be much better as it is still in a direct line with the radiator at the point where air will flow through it the best.

Instead I moved the battery to the boot and fitted an enclosed BMC CDA in it's place with a feed coming up from the inner wing through the gap between the inner wing and the chassis rail - it's the same as the one on the otherside where the washer bottle sits.

Now the IA temp will remain at ambiant unless the car sits for a little while, then the tempreture will slowly rise to that of the engine bay, I once saw 60' while queing in traffic just outside Paris one August.

HOWEVER once you start rolling it will drop like a stone and will maintain 5' above ambiant.

Today it was around 7 or 8', I was seeing 12 or 13' on the IA!

James

P.S. I like the scangauge location, exactly the same as mine.
I do have the MPG and temp info swapped over, took me a moment when I looked at you photo.