View Single Post
Old 30-09-15, 11:34 AM   #270
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakta View Post
No stress, well I'll build the controller anyway, as I've some others to do - and then at least I won't be the hold up for once!

Boost control (actually, I hate calling it boost control, let's call it something more appropriate - engine airflow management - as it influences both exhaust and intake pressures) depends on the energy fed to the turbo which typically comes from exhaust flow and exhaust temperatures - with this in mind I like to do at least the base vnt controller tuning in tandem with the ecu tuning.

I can set you a pilot calibration out, but it almost certainly won't be optimal.

Charles will be using the software to program and adjust his own vnt controller, but we've already got him a fairly decent calibration to start with, so he's not starting from scratch and his fuel settings are unlikely to be tweaked at this stage.

Anyone is welcome to use the software and self-tune, and it is fairly straightforward but I do ask people try and have an understanding of the vnt control logic before jumping in to do it.

If you can drive it without the controller that'd be ideal, my 400 with the GT2256v was actually quite drivable, it drove better with no boost than a stock car with a boost leak! You lose a lot of torque, it's flat in that aspect but if you don't try and jump gaps I actually got away with driving mine about like that for a few days - back in the day!
Sounds good, I think what I'll do is thus:

Wait for Matt to let me know when the car is in a drivable state - I'll either send him the controller with your base map in place on it, and then arrange a time to head up to you so we can tweak it a bit based on the current injectors in there. (I'll probably take a day off work and stay some-where local overnight to give us some time to muck about with things)

then I aim to run it like that as a shakedown for a bit - just make sure everything has settled, no odd boost leaks in places or oil leaks etc and everything is how we expect.... EG no headlift & HGF

then plan another trip up to do the dyno session, with the other injectors I have.. part of me wants to optimise the SDI's and get it on the rollers and see what it does, but we know it is around 170-180bhp & 270lbsft, so short of having the pretty before and after curve I am not 100% sure it is worth it...

Maybe we do one before as the baseline, swap in the injectors do some basic running short smoke tests and then get it on after that... pending what option works out 'better' for the dyno operator of course!

but we can sort all of this out later on..... hopefully it all happens before I get my new car, as I think the Zs might sit on the drive a bit after that arrives lol
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote