View Single Post
Old 12-12-09, 11:22 PM   #1
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
tuned derv ZS update

Figured i would pop an update on here for those that done lurk on the other forums that have a vague interest in the saga that is tuning my derv ZS...

had it on the dyno today and still had a dissapointing 160bhp and only 220lbs-ft of torque once more much later in the rev range than expected and still way to smokey and too hot over 4000 rpm.

have finally come to the decision (that i should have madea while back) to try a different set of injectors as the ones that i have got are just too extreme for the vp30 fuel pump we have in the ZS.

So currently I am in the process of selling my current injectors and going to be making a hybrid injector out of the Zs standard injector and SDI injector.

Basically i am going to hope to keep the delivery and break pressure of the newer injector with the larger flow nozzle from the SDI. this should mean good atomisation of fuel, but more of it than the standard injector would normally flow. so it will be the best i can get for power, fuel economy and torque delivery...

the SDI's on their own tail off quite a lot after the peak, where the normal injecotr has the peak, but then holds torque flat until there fuel drops off. wth the hybrid turbo i am hoping to up the fuel after the torque peak and keep it at the same flat level as the peak for as long as possible.

I am hoping that this will give me a good starting point to start over with this dammed car....

normal injectors can give about 220lbs-ft peak torque with a remap, and SDI's around 250... if i can get 250 and hold it flat, then i might still see 170-180bhp.....

oh and it seems to have blown the exhaust manifold gasket - probably the 27PSI boost it is currently peaking at.. and it looks like it has pissed the gearbox oil out again, as it dropped out of 5th a few times on the motorway this morning..

all in all an expensive experiment i tried.... here is hoping to better luck with my new plans.
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote