Thread: ZS TD project
View Single Post
Old 17-07-15, 10:14 PM   #119
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
I decided to take the TD for a bit of a drive recently.

A few stats:

27 days
7546 miles
164 hours behind the wheel
17 countries
76 towns
8 capitals
14 mountain passes
8 car ferries
3 time zones
2 crossings of the arctic circle
2 breakdowns
1 tired old MG

I wont list all the countries or anything (unless anybody wants me to) but as always, I'll just try and tell a quick story with a few words and pictures.

Before we set off...

I only decided to take the ZS over the 45 at the last minute. The 45 would probably have been the "sensible" choice (still running 160 bhp spec) but I wanted some pics of the ZS on some of "the worlds best driving roads"... sad but true.

Preparations 2 days before we set off were to raise the suspension 20mm up front and 12mm at the rear (was a bit nose down before), replace the 2 front Conti Sport Contact 3's for some new ones, replace a leaking oil pressure switch, replace the aux belt and tensioner and give it a good service.

Set off after work and drove down to Dover that night

The ZS blends in surprisingly well considering the decals on the roof... waiting for the ferry.

Now then, we saw so many places that it was impossible to take a pic of the car everywhere but some of the scenic places it was rude no to so below are a few of my faves from the trip in the order they were taken.

This one was taken at 11pm in Norway- 24 hours of daylight.

See those toy boats at the bottom of the bath tub??

Well this is what they look like!

The "Arctic Road" Norway.

Naturally saw lots of reindeer as we were approaching Lapland

I wonder how many ZS's have been in the arctic circle?

I didn't get any more car pics until Austria when this happened about 5,000 miles into our trip.

Coolant pipe had worn through. Noticed the temp gauge as it was about 3/4 to max so pulled over straight away and coolant was still dripping so caught it just in time.

Repaired at the side of the motorway by shortening the pipe and re-organising some other pipes.

I did have 2l of spare coolant but that wasn't enough so the rest was substituted for ice tea!

This happened just before we started the big passes. Didn't stop us though.

Grossglockner:

She was getting a bit warm so whipped the plate off.

Mid holiday bath.

Next pass= Hantennjoch

Then onto the famous one... the mighty Stelvio and all 48 of it's hairpins.

Last edited by ZS Phil; 17-07-15 at 10:21 PM.
ZS Phil is offline   Reply With Quote