View Single Post
Old 10-09-12, 08:10 AM   #17
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
MG driving positions are a bit weird – I’m 5’10” so there shouldn’t be any problems, but it’s still difficult to find a position that is both comfortable AND offers a decent view.

Key to it is that you should never have a straight arm or straight leg. It makes me laugh when you see some of these teenagers struggling to peek over the window sill and peering THROUGH the steering wheel, with their seats reclined at 45 degrees because they think it looks cool! “Well that’s ow Touring Car drivers sit, innit!” – “yeah, but YOU don’t need to worry about your centre of gravity being as low as possible, and you’re in OEM seats, not racing ones, dimwit!!!”

If you get to a point where your arm or leg is straight then you’re at full extension and so don’t have full control. At furthest reach, you should still have a slight bend in your arms or legs.

I have to have my ZS’s driver’s seat against the backstop, then seeing as the height adjustment also moves the seat back and forth, I adjust that so that I’ve got the correct reach for both legs and arms. Even then it’s a balancing act, because with the steering wheel tilted fully upwards and against the stop, to sit comfortably my view of the top part of the dials is almost obscured.

At least ZS seats aren’t as bad as ZR ones though – after 1 & ½ hours in those my back really used to hurt, no matter how I had them. They were just plain painful. And if I’m in the missus’s 206 CC, you should see (or hear from the screams) what my sitting comfortably does to the rear seat passenger's legs!

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)

Last edited by Enright; 10-09-12 at 08:12 AM.
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote