View Single Post
Old 20-08-14, 02:50 PM   #144
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
So I've had a few issues recently - first off was the clutch hydraulics - I had intended fitting the Sheddist that came with the car but sold that, then there was the used one that came from the scrap yard but I sold that, finally there was the one on GV51 but that will be going in the maestro when I swap engines.

I was aware that the change was getting worse so had decided to get some bits togeather and make my own version. Unfortunatly (and typical for me) I'd left it too late.......

We have just had a chimney removed due to damp problems caused by the loft extension company plastering the loft room to the chimney rather than leaving the required cap! The result was our bedroom ceiling starting to collapse, we had it removed from the roof and through our bedroom and had the walls and ceiling plastered. I then replaced the floor with T&G as the 102 year old floor boards were knackered. We then rebuilt the built in wardrobes I built 10 years ago and refitted the interior with IKEA stuff. They were out of stock of 2 key components so I decided, after work to drive the 30 miles from work to the local store in south London (Croydon) to get these, not a wise idea the afternoon the M25 was closed nearby for 3 hours.

After queing for 30 minutes the clutch started to get near impossible to engage so I decided to abhort the trip and turn around, 200 yards from the turn the car wouldn't go into first so I switched off hoping to start in gear BUT the car wouldn't start, the starter was really sluggish!

I managed to roll across the road on to the ghost island. 20 minutes later I managed to start the engine and, while rolling down the slight slope slip into gear. I don't know how, but I managed to get across 2 lanes of traffic, up to the turn and on to the southbound carrage without stopping or changing gear.

Using clutchless changes I got into 5th and cruised down the whole length of the M23, I slipped into 3rd, again clutchlessly, off the main road and onto the back roads towards Horsham. Using the clutch to help going back into 4th the peddle went to the floor and stayed there.

I somehow managed the last 8 miles without the need for clutch pulling up outside the house 50 minutes and 30 miles from where the car broke down.