View Single Post
Old 03-09-20, 08:54 AM   #14
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by gAZ View Post
How did that rusty rear end happen?
Best we can work out, one of the first owners (first couple of years of the cars life) had a rear end that was repaired and then wasn't picked up by any subsequent owners.

Eventually the car made its way to the owner before I took it back and in their ownership the rear end started cracking, then when I got hold of it the plan was to remove all the filler from that repair and start again as it had blown in a few places (hence the cracking).

Whilst removing and chasing futher and further the filler it became obvious that the whole of the backend up to halfway over the rear doors was mainly filler, some stuck like toffee but some you tapped and sheets fell off.

The car was moved out of the booth to make way for paying customers cars, then pretty much due to one reason or another sat there for 18 months or so.

The rust is actually just surface rust and would come off with a quick sand, but really all that filler needed to come off before anything was done to the car.

If I had have kept it and I had the time etc, the plan was to completely strip the rear end (We would have got the air tools on to the job) and then protect, prime and repaint the whole car, probably in a faux monogram or similar. However with all the above reasons (and with T16 needing a lot of work) we decided to move the car on. Not an easy decision.

We also considered using the chassis as a base for T16's restore, but decided against that for the time being due to the house move.

All in all a shame FE54 has ended in the way it has, but hopefully she can help keep many more ZS's on the road going forward.

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote