View Single Post
Old 15-04-11, 12:35 AM   #20
starfire039

starfire039 is on a distinguished road
put myself down for a test drive. 0-60 of 9 seconds doesn't sound too promising. Just not enough grunt in what appears to be a decent chassis.

Unfortunately I also think the new TF has damaged SAIC MG's reputation, remember how fast (read: slow) the SAIC TF sold? Test drove one of those too, slow as hell, and poorly built. Very rattly, and a very loud fan came on during a test drive. Although I can't comment on the 6 until I've driven one, I feel even if it's solidly built, which I think it will be, the stigma of the new TF and the fact it's a Chinese "Rover" will only hurt sales. I can't see a regular buyer who would normally go for a focus/astra would give the 6 a serious thought over well established hatchbacks.

I think the only way SAIC could renew interest in the MG brand would be to bring out a hatchback that is way ahead of it's time, with all the gadgets, solid build and something like a 1.4 with a years free insurance to appeal to young drivers/eco aware drivers (why people that worry about 10-15mpg when they're spanking ?14k+ on a brand new car baffles me), as well as a true performance saloon to replace the ZS. I do think that they're sort of hitting a market that just isn't big enough. First impressions are key, especially with a brand like MG... and I don't think the MG6 will cut it. I don't want one, and I'm one of those people that are most likely to get one, seeing as this is technically my cars successor.

The car I will be replacing my 120 with is a 180, not an MG6. I just cannot justify the difference in price, I'm not getting the value over a previous gen MG, and that is really not good. I suspect a lot of others feel the same... but I really hope I'm proved wrong. Whack out something original, headturning, groundbreaking, whether it's a low powered hatchback, a hybrid, a saloon with a big old engine in it... then I'll be interested. With SAIC's budget there's no excuse.
  • Replace/fix rattly mirror
  • Mark 2 dashboard
  • Catch tank
  • New VIS motors
  • Fit bucket seats
  • Induction kit
  • New spark plugs + oil change
  • New exhaust
  • Decat
  • Fix drivers seat mounting hole
  • Reidy Remap

starfire039 is offline   Reply With Quote