View Single Post
Old 05-08-10, 01:03 PM   #21
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Interesting thoughts here, I have had around 60 cars in my lifetime, can't say the MG has ever been considered a poor one in comparison to what I have previously owned.

Alot of you will probably say we should stick with 'German' cars due to the build quality and the 'Germanic' way they are put together. VW springs to mind "if only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagon"

But hold a minute there MG beaters................if I am not mistaken the common faults, especially the 180, are the plenums, vis valves and seat SRS leads..............these are all German parts! (not sure who makes the clutch slave and master cylinders mind)

I can fondly remember a Renault being a pig blowing more gaskets than a poorly maintained k-series. An Audi that used to eat fuel pumps, a Vauxhall that used to leak more oil more than a BP well head. Also had Ford that ate void bushes like they were marshmallows!

Even a brand new Citroen Xsara Picasso, bought on two occassions, had to have recalls for dodgy fuel tanks and pedals IIRC.

My particular ZS has been a joy to own over +5 years, very little gone wrong and always easily fixed. On a like for like age basis I have owned worse cars of the same age that required more attention than Jordans mattress.