View Single Post
Old 02-08-07, 10:10 PM   #19
garythesnail

garythesnail is on a distinguished road
Don't get me wrong gents, there's two sets of keys hanging up and I only ever reach for the set with MG printed on. It 'feels' better to drive, but that is my opinion. Somehow, I think that others here may feel the same (just a guess).

Please don't take this the 'wrong way', but I'm not convinced that there's a ZS out there which is as reliable as an Impreza which will do regular sub 6 second 0-60 runs. What spec are these cars running at? Are we talking no interior trim and superchargers? I understand that a ZS would be able to do 'more' with less power due to fewer frictional losses and lower kerb weight though (but initial traction with 4wd is difficult to compete with)

I may not have driven the ZS to its full potential but neither have I driven the WRX to the same extent. I have however given the 2002 WRX as much stick as the MG and the WRX is the faster car. The 2.5 WRX will be quicker again (roll on 1000 mile service and 7000rpm!)

The WRX hasn't been bought as a fashion accessory either. The first one was purchased after 12 years of marriage and saving up after Mrs. Snail worked her wotsits off to get herself through University after raising three Kids from a time when we were barely schoolkids ourselves (I'm sure father in law still hasn't forgiven me 19 years on!), missing out on further education first time around to 'do the right thing'. After years of struggling along, things turned around with the pair of us in half decent jobs with no other 'vices' ( yep, we're pretty boring).

We decided to buy a 'family' car with a bit of poke, she chose the WRX after test driving a 2-year old model. The car did 50k in 5 years without letting us down. It had one warranty job (gearbox bearings - that could've been expensive if it happened six months later!) and, erm, 'took one up the rear' as it were, from a Citroen Berlingo when Mrs. was on the way to work at a standstill in a queue in the outside lane on the M4. Mr. Bloody Citroen wasn't paying quite as much attention as Mrs. Snail ("tosser" I thought, but "how close have I come on a couple of occasions?" I said to myself) and ploughed in to the car, pushing it in to the car in front. Result - £6k+ repair bill for insurer and no damage to Mrs. Snail (the car was driven on to the back of the recovery wagon and the crumpled boot and bonnet both opened and closed perfectly). This played a big part in her decision to buy a new one - along with knowing she didn't want a lexus or BMW after watching them struggle in the snow as she wafted past.

Both these cars offer as much 'bang for buck' as anything out there and the fella buying the second hand subaru will have the faster car, whereas the guy with the ZS180 will have the newer car. Spending a couple of grand on the Impreza (or any other turbo charged car, diesels and all!) will reap greater 'power' rewards than spending the same amount on a ZS. This, however, misses the point of a ZS - handling. It's ability in the twisties(maybe this applies more to a 120 than a 180 too with less weight up front) is a bit better than an Impreza, but show a hint of a straight and the Subaru claws anything lost - and more - back.

I maintain that 'driver involvement' is greater in the ZS and it is more enjoyable as a result. I do see both cars in a similar light though - the 'straight' (err - not sure there's a 'gay' one )WRX is the poor relation to the STi and not directly comparable to Evos, M3's, Mercs and baby Porsches, but so very nearly as fast as these 'more expensive to buy' and 'much more expensive to run' bits of machinery.

I'll be keeping my ZS for a loooong time.

It makes me smile every time I walk towards it, never mind actually driving it.

All the best,

Gary.
garythesnail is offline   Reply With Quote