View Single Post
Old 19-09-09, 01:51 PM   #16
Maxxed_Ross
Events Organiser-Scotland

Maxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura aboutMaxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura about
some more updates

Some drastic progress has been made recently

The results from the second test run at Knockhill are in... and it's not good

First off I fitted a new clutch cable with cleared up all the gearbox issues from first time out, a fantastic start.... but not for long.

The battery had gone flat since it had been sitting for just over 2 weeks without moving... nothing too unusual there... and that rear calliper had totally seized again - but I have a new one waiting to go on during the winter re-build (£60 for stupid little rear calliper!)

Started with the jump pack no bother, moved it into the garage... did some work on it, discovered all the alloy valve caps are seized solid so I can't check tyre pressures, fitted standard rear lights as the Motobodge ones are a bit ugly in ASBO Orange IMO, finished off the full-beam unit cold air feed pipe and went to move it back out again... *click*, *whrrrr*, *spark spark BANG!*

Starter motor decided to blow up in spectacular fashion. taking with it the fuel gauge (which is now stuck on full constantly) and frying some aspect of the SRS system so that the light constantly pulses on and off like a flickering light bulb!

Managed to bump start it and get it onto the trailer... only to whack one of the tie hoops and take a chunk out of the wheel

So anyway at Knockhill I bump it again and head out onto the track. About 20 mins into the session the fuel gauge is still stuck, the temperature gauge is off the scale again and the engine is starting to sound like a bag of mixed broken spanners... Then to top it all off it starts raining - and the wipers refuse to park. They just stop when you let go of the lever - then not paying attention I totally miss the braking point for the first corner and end up drifing round it in a huge arc ending up in a gravel trap (luckily just some stone rash on the alloys and a crack to the rear bib are all the damage sustained) ...fantastic

So I come into the pits to let "old clunky" cool off a bit. Cue huge steam explosion and much hissing from the expansion bottle - this time it has actually over heated.

Oil check.... ah there appears to be next to none and it's scalding hot - that can't be good

To top it all off, I get black flagged for sounding like I'm about to blow up

Back at home base and the cause of the oil departure becomes clear. The sump has a huge chunk missing and the down pipe from the exhaust looks like it's been driven full speed into a kerb at some point.... most likely speed bump damage - resulting in a crack next to the drain plug. The gearbox oil seal is leaking and the oil return feed to the turbo is loose because the bolt holding it in is too long and has bottomed out

Good job the engine is coming out soon anyway to fit a new ZR 160 gearbox... because there's a stack more to do to it now!

On the up side, I stripped out the dash today and started prepping it for the carbon custom one I'm making up. Since most of it didn't work anyway it made sense to loose the weight. The heater box wasn't connected to anything and half the loom was either butchered or not plugged in... so it's all in the skip now

I couldn't believe how much the dash alone weighed, and how HUGE the heating system is.... that's all ripped out now too The cabin looks massive now

The standard clocks will also be going and being replaced by aftermarket ones including a rev counter in the middle, some temperature and pressure gauges and various switches for the few electricals that remain. 90% of the harness is now redundant so I might attempt to take that out if I have the time... but likely it'll stay in to save hassle

I also fitted a couple of new toys, including new DTM mirrors (because the standard ones kept moving!) and some graphics

So that's how it stands so far. I have a new gearbox and starter sitting ready to go in next time I'm back onshore, the ZS180 brakes are nearly all here.

Ordered the rev counter and some of the gauges today

Getting a drawing made up for the new alloy dash template over the weekend, then once that's made up it'll hopefully be getting made in carbon fibre

fuel gauge ordered

I have an FIA battery isolator switch in the post, so that will be fitted when the battery is moved into the spare wheel well

www.facebook.com/EX259

"It's not broken, it's an opportunity to upgrade!"
Maxxed_Ross is offline   Reply With Quote