View Single Post
Old 16-01-11, 10:01 AM   #19
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Life's a gamble, if money was no object, throw everything out and start with good quality new, if its tight go with the alternative.

If its all genuine, think I would leave as is.

Something else you need, will be lifting chains or a couple of strops, I used lifting eyes, that were bolted onto a couple of head bolts. Dont know if the V6 has them, or you need to get them. Or use mounting brackets etc.

Other things I'd get hold of would be a pry bar and a tool for lineing up mounting bolts, like a screwdriver but tapered.

Why you need them is that its so easy to reach down to align, jiggle, free, a sticking bolt/plate/pipe. It only needs the engine to slip, chain to break, someone lean on a wing and a jack slip and whoosh, crushed finger or worse.

Dont think it wont happen, as it does. Lifting out my MGB engine with a hoist, I hadnt run the bolt down all the way in the excitement and bang, shot off into the roof and the engine dropped. Lucky nothing was in the way, but you will be dealing with a heavy lump that will not want to move, and will fight you all the way.

Suppose you need to seal all pipes etc of the new engine, so nothing can fall in when its going in, and try and plug all the pipes on the old engine, as no matter how much has been drained off, there will always be some left to spill on the floor.

Tie off all pipes, wires, cables so they are well out the way, its amazing how one wire can hold the engine, on its way out, or in.

Cant think of anything else and dont want to worry you, but if you havnt pulled an engine out, I'd sooner you know now of the pitfalls. Hope i'm not sounding like i'm trying to teach you to suck eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!