View Single Post
Old 19-08-13, 09:19 PM   #104
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
what are you doing for rear brakes?

I don't know much about the mk1 dash, but the mk2 dash can be stripped right down to little more than the bare shell leaving the centre fix point and the sides, if you are putting race seats in - that usually sit lower, then its worth lowering the dash an inch or two so you can see over the clocks!
I did weigh a stripped one but I have forgotten how much it weighs, obviously not as light as a fibreglass copy - which is always an idea, but light enough not to be concerned too much about what it does weigh. (2.6kg is in my mind, but just a guess)

10 - 8's should be a good start point.

A real gain is sorting out the roll centre on the front, this will allow you to lower the car whilst maintaining correct scrub radius & contact pressure patch on the tyres.
This is what evrey one overlooks when they drop the car believing low cog is the answer then wonder why they are no quicker - just feels quicker 'cause their lower to the ground.

The kinematics need to work, and when they do, a simple change in tyre pressure will be noticeable.
when you say about sorting out the roll center is it an easy job to sort with easy to aquire pieces? or is it a case of really really knowing what you are doing (obviously this helps a huge amount with supseension geometry) and adjusting it because you understand how to.

I've just started reading into all this suspension jiggery pokery and its massively detailed and so far seems very easy to get wrong and ruin everything.
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote