View Single Post
Old 03-07-09, 09:57 AM   #48
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
In my original thread I discussed what went on and why. I could have gained more if I had chosen a higher grade of fuel, like V-Power or BP Ultimate but personally chose the lower 95RON purely on cost. Considering I do around 350 miles a week commuting, the extra cost would have been unjustifiable if using 97/98RON. Yes it would be nice to have the extra horses but I am not that desperate for them.

Matt has spent alot of time and effort on his remaps and has many satisified customers, especially on the K-series and diesel engines. However as mentioned before he did very little on KV6 as no-one was willing to offer one to try, not surprising as most KV6 owners are indeed sceptical about chipping and remapping. I can also be included here I might add! I do believe after a days running on the dyno and studying the standard map that Matt has interrogated that he knows where to tweak them and where to leave them alone.

I can only take my hat off to the man for attempting to take this on and really understand the KV6 and work with it until such time gains were made. Okay the gains that were seen were not as we both had hoped but at least there were improvements from the original figures and that was the point of the exercise.

Sometimes you can be working too closely on something and fail to spot the obvious or be blinkered by opinion or by not thinking outside of the box. With Matt he applied his knowledge and with a fresh attitude looked at the whole application from a different perspective.

I know opinions will vary as that is the nature of the business, we all have choices and will always be sceptical about claims. As a personal choice I am more than happy with the results and that is not just reading a piece of paper or reading a screen. I have been involved with motorsport for many years and never take much notice of what figures are produced and only measure the improvements, if any, when on the road as that is where the differences are measured. I have used many rolling roads down the years and yes they do vary as there is very little done to police the calibration. The only way to gauge improvements is to use the same set up everytime and use this for comparative results. I did this many times when trying to solve the fueling issues on my old Audi GT supersaloon, took several weeks and runs to iron this out and during this time logged the readings.

I think I have gone on long enough. Obviously the jury is still out and will be for sometime. I'm more than happy so will leave it there.