View Single Post
Old 03-09-10, 12:07 PM   #84
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Right have worked out my first port of call method to control this EMP and it is going to try to follow the KISS approach (keep it simple stupid)

going to decide on an external wategate that i might* purchase.
*the word might is there for a reason
Then i am going to get an adpator plate made up that will go from the EGR port, a short section of intermediate pipework and then the end plate will match the possible external wategate i might* buy.

I will get the short section tapped to fit a boost reading device - currently using a compression fit and some brake line, so happy to keep that method for now.

then get a few blanking plates made up for the wastegate end; to start with i will literally just drill a hole and see if we can lower things enough without affecting spool by following this very simple approach.

If i discover a suitable diameter hole that fits the bill i will then either:
a) mate the correct diamter pipework to the downpipe to by pass the turbo
b) feed the pipework under the car to let it vent that way.

If lag is affected too much, or not enough pressure drop occurs, then i will get the wategate that matches the adaptor plate i have had made up, and start the testing again using the pressure to manipulate the actuator\wastegate.

As wastegates are generally quite large things i will need to experiment with a restrictor again to lower the flow either pre or post wastegate or both.

If that fails then i will cry and sulk lots

being serious though if the 2nd attempt fails then i will look at electronic boost controllers - but they are quiet pricey so want to avoid theat outlay if it is not needed.

Now just to work out which wastegate i might want and then get the adaptor made up.
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote