Thread: Mg zs 115.
View Single Post
Old 02-02-09, 01:11 PM   #18
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
I went one step above that!

I put a set of 'wingy' injectors in it that flow so much fuel (but with poor atomisation) that on the standard map and the hybrid turbo only at 22PSI (3PSI over max stock, it is good up to about 28, but not sure of the other parts lol)
i got 160bhp on an aborted power run (stopped at 3k rpm iirc)

the remap i have had was to take fuel out, not add more!

so basically the injectors are ~180bar break pressure, the SDI's are 200 and the ZS ones are 210 - becuase it was a case of more fuel across the whole rev range, i needed to get some (read a lot) taken out when the standard map was used.

It has also transpired that that while the extra fuel created the heat to weaken things the damage has been done by the remap guy advancing the timing a touch.

The way that our fuel pump delivers the fuel is much more than the SDI engine, and they run much more advanced timing - however in our cars that caused the cylinder pressures to go up too much, and the head lifted - hence the damage and the HGF you can see in the pics.

if you dont use full throttle then the head did not lift and no more coolant loss - but the damage has been done.

I am a guniea pig in how to fix the problem, with the help of matt that is - the other route is to get a decompression plate made up to lower the compression ratio from the rather high 19.5:1 down to somewhere near 18:1. this would mean much lower cylinder pressures, but at the cost of fuel combustion in the cylinder. the downside is it requires a fair bit of remap work to adjust for this. Hence why i am tying an alternate method.

If you get SDI injectors and a remap from some-one that is not aware of the problems then you may be hit the same issues if the remap is too aggressive - we have seen it on .org

The remap guy has stuck his hand up and realised his 'mistake' he basically missed the much higher compression ratio in our cars compared to the other vp30 cars (vag group) and so this is is coupled with higher boost pressure just prooved to be too much if you try for more than about 150bhp and 250lbs-ft.

a remap alone will not cause the damage you can see, but if the re-mapper asks too much of the fuel pump it can lead to premature failure. about 130-140 but not sure torque values) is what you could expect from a remap alone.
the SDI's on there own will give you the same figures roughly.. but without a mild remap can be a touch smokey pre boost and right up top 3500+rpm.

The injectors i am using 'require' a bigger or hybrid turbo, uprated clutch&gearbox, Remap and preferably an FMIC to get smoke levels (and therefore EGT and cylinder pressures) down to sustainable levels. because my clutch hydraulics originally failed, and the FMIC was not\is not fitted the remap wasn't completed so i was still driving it will too much fuel - hence the issues.

I hope that makes a bit of sense... had a phone call half way through and lost my train of thought lol
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote