View Single Post
Old 26-07-12, 07:22 PM   #32
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Well since getting back off holiday I had a number of key fobs sat on my door mat ready to be stripped down and chopped about. Ordered a flip Evo/Lancer fob which only had two buttons but I thought I could fabricate something. Having opened it up that looked like a non starter. Next was a Hyundai Sonata Accent fob which had 3 buttons that looked like it could work. Finally a Vectra fob that had the buttons in the same order as the ZS.

I first tried the vectra fob unfortunately it looked like the buttons were slightly differently spaced and would have to do some soldering and move bits about. Seems like more hassle that it was worth, especially as the internals of the Hyundai looked much closer to that of the ZS. I decided it would be easiest to butcher my spare MG fob so that I could use the internals that hold the electrics and the battery and then fit them inside the flip fob. Heres the progress and some finished pics, feel it worked out pretty well.

Not sure if its because its a battery out the spare fob or what but the buttons all work perfectly, almost better than the original. Still need to get the key cut but that's the easy bit. Only down side I can see is the weight is more than the original which weighs in at 44g, the new flip one weight 84g and for comparison the gfs corsa flip fob weighs 56g . Could save abit more off get it down to the 70's but dont think the weight is really noticeable.

Realise the buttons are not quite right but these are plastic covers that are easily removed so could make some up at a later date.

2012 BMW 320d Sport

Last edited by Jay-ZS+; 26-07-12 at 07:29 PM.
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote