View Single Post
Old 08-12-10, 09:22 PM   #29
garymgzs180

garymgzs180 is on a distinguished road
the temperature in the plenum (after the charger) is consistantly 80 degrees celcius under hard acceleration. this was tested after 40mins driving. this was measured with a stand alone thermo couple and not the inaccurate sensor on the piggy back. this temperature reduces to 70 when the water injection is turned on. these were the temperatures before i increased the boost though. i know now with double the boost the temp will be through the roof. with the old engine i used to have to retard the timing 12 degrees but as soon as i fitted the lower comp engine i managed to tune this back to zero and actually started advancing the timing believe it or not. the low comp pistons really make that much difference. when i then increased the boost i had to retard the timing 4 degrees at the top end but it is still advanced 4-5 degrees low down to give incredible torque. obviosly i have been monitoring knock/detonation throughout and this is what i have tuned it to. the fuel air ratio is 11.4:1 and 12:1 at top end.
i really want to fit a charge cooler to reduce the intake temp and gain even more power but i looked at the assembly on the engine long and hard and came to the conclusion i couldnt divert the air out of the plenum then back without cutting the bonnet open and fitting either a vent or bulge. i really dont want to have to do this though. i like the standard look of my car. have you got any ideas. i dont know if you were thinking of fitting a cooler to yours at some point.
garymgzs180 is offline   Reply With Quote