Thread: The MOT thread
View Single Post
Old 10-02-16, 04:47 PM   #257
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
It is becoming quite common for rust in this area, especially on later cars.

Mines gonna fail on the n/s/r caliper and horn (failed relay in the BCU I think), hopefully nothing else but I'll make full use of the 10 working days, 4 weekend days and 3 bank holidays days to sort it - it gives me an excuse to get out of the house over xmas - LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
Didn't fail on the caliper which is strange as the hand brake is very slow to release, front pads and discs were an advisory.

It did fail on the horn
and RUST in the drivers wheel arch, I think I should laugh about this after my previous post, but I do have the MIG welder and 2 terms of C&G welding under my belt.......

It also went down on insecure exhaust (apparently a temp fix of cable ties isn't acceptable - LOL) and a leaking exhaust which is probably linked to the missing rubbers.

The last advisory was "coating on headlights but does not effect beam pattern". This is actually the usual UV damage they suffer from.
There are traces of something else on the headlights, I guess someone refurbished and sprayed them with some lacquer but most has pealed off.

I replaced the exhaust rubbers, replaced the bolts on the cat and squared up the exhaust. Two weeks later one of the mounts from the cat has snapped at the weld!

When I checked the rust it was no more than a pin hole so until the weather gets better it's been filled and stone chipped.

It went back in today to a different garage who don't do MOTs - pass with advisories for front discs and pads (going to do them soon anyway) and failed mount on the cat (decat going back on anyway).

Next MOT is June on the F so a few months for maintenance and modifying.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote