View Single Post
Old 02-10-12, 07:49 AM   #22
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
Unfortunately the majority simply don't have the disposable income.
I wish I could afford to do a track day every month, but that would sap at least £1500 per, year before factoring in tyres and fuel - it's simply too much for me to entertain.
It would be great if the government had the imagination to subsidise track-days, but administrating and justifying it would be more trouble than it was worth for them.
As the roads are already so clogged they have a vested interest in either keeping people off them, or setting the prices for use so high that they simply rake in the profits from the rest. And if you’ve been caught going a couple of miles an hour too quickly – tough luck, you’re gonna pay for all the REALLY bad ones who avoid the law altogether.

One thing that bugs me is that it's all biased towards speed, as that's the most easily measurable thing.
I always respond to the “Speed Kills” tag-line with “no it doesn’t – stopping quickly does!”
That’s why these new “black boxes” that the insurance companies are introducing that you can have installed “to lower your premium by proving what a good driver you are” fill me with suspicion. How do they measure how often you fail to indicate? Do they know if you use a hands-free kit while driving around with your fog-lamps on? No – all they are concerned about is if you regularly exceed speed limits, and how long will it be before the same insurers start refusing to insure people who aren’t prepared to have Big Brother in the car with them?

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote