View Single Post
Old 14-02-16, 05:35 PM   #21
Big-Jay

Big-Jay has a spectacular aura aboutBig-Jay has a spectacular aura about
Ok guys, spent yesterday outside on the drive doing the timing belts, pleased to say all went smoothly !

Heres the parts I bought, all genuine MG/Rover except for the auxiliary belt and water pump of which are still good quality aftermarket parts. There are cheaper kits on the market but I wouldn't entertain using 'budget' items for a job like this for obvious reasons -

Set the engine to 'Safe' and then removed the old belt, tensioner, pulleys and water pump -

Here's the hydraulic tensioner, quite corroded and was slightly damp around the piston when I removed it. Looks like it may have been leaking slightly to me -

Coolant cleaned up and new water pump, tensioner and pulleys fitted -

When I removed the old belt the cam wheels sprang back about an inch each. Was just a case of removing the two rear cam covers and then using two 19mm spanners on the front camshaft nuts until the timing marks aligned on the rear inlet and exhaust cam wheels and then slipping the new belt on. Here's the new belt fitted and the pin that holds the tensioner piston in place removed -

Ancillary's refitted and new auxiliary belt fitted -

And all back together again, she's running beautifully now -

I haven't changed the two smaller belts yet as that was enough for one day. I'll do these at some point next weekend as well as a full service.

I also bought some new badges for the quarter panels so I changed those over too, here they are -

Used some masking tape to mark around the old badge so I could get the new ones where they need to be -

Badge removed -

New one fitted -

Just a case of rinse and repeat for the other side -

That's it for this weekend, will update again when I've done the smaller belts and the service .

Jay.
Big-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote