View Single Post
Old 08-05-08, 07:07 PM   #28
al_roverMG
Site Supporter

al_roverMG is on a distinguished road
I have used clay for about 6 years now. Started off using 3M clay from brown brothers but have used the megs one since it became available.

As Shronnie has said you shouldn't really re-use clay if it is dirty especially on the first use on a car although if you can still fold it to a clean section then there is no reason it cant be reused. I normally cut the bar into 3 bits and then use a section at a time. If the weather is cold i drop it into a bucket of warm water before i start washing and this makes it easier to work with when u get to that stage. Some people use 2 bits and swap them over when it becomes hard to work but i have never found it cools enough to go hard while i am working it. With the 3M i just used a spray bottle of plain water and lots of it. With the QD in the megs kit i spray direct onto the panel in a small (about 1foot by 1 foot) and work that then move on.

Once you have clayed (and i am sure most already know this) u should follow up with a decent polish (by this i mean something like megs stage 1 polish or autoglym super resin polish, something that has a certain amount of cutting action to it) and then top it off with at least a decent wax (like the megs stage 3 or gold class) or a sealant. for a black car i would add a glaze in before the wax or sealant.