View Single Post
Old 25-07-13, 10:01 AM   #113
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillen View Post
It's fine haha don't worry it's all discussion!

I had a dash dimmer only switch. And that had only 3 wires from the back making a dim function easy to wire.
When I picked up the washer button it had all these:

Shouldn't be too bad with a wiring diagram and some patience!

I'd like a sunroof for completeness. And the fact my light has one blank in it still and I have the button for it spare.
But they fail a lot on the ZR's so don't think it would be wort risking.
Probably need a full roof panel.
Yep, that's what I remember - loads of wires and just about all of them red!!!
Looks like the Civics/Accords have the wiring all in place already, and you just plug in the swtiches and options to enable them.

Agreed, but then ZR's are a league apart in quality. I've had a look at a few older R400's, 45's & ZS's in scrappies - none of them seem to be rotting around the edges like the ZR's habitually do.

You definitely would need a full roof panel though - the structure is completely different. There’s less strengthening in it, while instead it has all the mountings for the sunroof mechanism.

The wiring goes up the driver's A-pillar, and there are drains in each corner. But once you had those out of the way, you could just unbolt the tailgate from the donor car, smash the windscreen out of the way, cut through the A, B and C pillars, then take it, headlining and all. I was quoted £40 for the roof panel and may even be able to get it cheaper than that. Nobody would normally (be daft enough to) touch them so it’s bonus income for any scrapyard.

After that the remains of the pillars and side panels just need to be ground off, so that you just have 2 straight, flat weld faces from front to rear. These are the ones normally found under the trim strips on the roof.

You could even get the replacement panel sprayed at this point because the only unsightly bit could be touched-up later and hidden by the trim strips.

Then in theory it’s just a “simple” matter of cutting the original roof panel out, cleaning it back to the same 2 weld lines, and welding the new one in place, possibly using the windscreen as a flat surface to gauge the correct position.

The worry could come when the old roof panel was removed. As it’s part of the monocoque the entire car could sag in the middle!!!

So now you know why it was a £525 optional extra. But if you budget £100 for spraying and “mate’s rates” for a bit of welding, you could do the entire upgrade for £200.

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)

Last edited by Enright; 25-07-13 at 10:04 AM.
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote