View Single Post
Old 05-02-16, 11:24 PM   #1
Big-Jay

Big-Jay has a spectacular aura aboutBig-Jay has a spectacular aura about
Mk2 mg zs 180 xpg

Hi All,

Here is my recently purchased 180 in X Power Grey. Some of you may probably recognise her as she's been on the forum for a good while now. The two previous owners are forum members I believe, KevG & Maxfly.

I'd been looking for a good year or so for a nice one so as soon as this came up on gumtree I knew it was the one I'd be buying. She's already had some really nice modifications done and has most of the desirable bits and pieces, full leather seats, TF wheel, lowered, Janspeed Manis etc... She also has a cracking service history with plenty of receipts for work carried out which is always a good thing !

So, a killer 12 hour coach journey later and I found myself in Inverness, slightly dazed and confused, numb legs and in dire need of a nicotine fix .

I was greeted by Maxfly, who I must say was an absolute pleasure to deal with and a real nice guy, at the coach station who then took me back to his home where the ZS was waiting. A good chat later, money handed over and I was now the official owner of this -

Another 12 hour journey and I was back in sunny Birmingham, all went smoothly apart from me losing a rear wind deflector somewhere along the M74.

Here she is, now extremely dirty and in dire need of a wash, taking a well deserved rest on my drive after the long journey home -

Now, Gary had mentioned that on the previous day when he got back from taking her for a last spin, a plasticky rattling noise had developed from the ancillary side of the engine. I thought it may have been coming from the power steering pump so I took the Aux belt off and started her up but the noise was still there with the belt removed.

This ment that the noise was coming from somewhere deeper in the engine bay so a bit more digging and a few tea breaks later and i had the cam belt exposed -

Tea break -

Straight away I noticed the belt was quite slack so that obviously means that the hydraulic tensioner has failed and is no longer doing its job. A quick test using a plastic spoon to tension the belt and the noise had disappeared meaning the noise was the cambelt slapping on the plastic cam covers.

I'll be popping out tomorrow to hopefully pick up a new tensioner and its makes sense to change the belt, pulleys and water pump while I'm there too.

I'll post an update tomorrow evening if all goes to plan .

Jay.

Last edited by Big-Jay; 05-02-16 at 11:40 PM.
Big-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote