Thread: T16
View Single Post
Old 30-10-17, 06:58 PM   #8
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Decided to take the car to work today, 40 mile trip either direction.

On the way there I noticed that under hard acceleration at around 3.5k revs the whole thing cut out like hitting a brick wall. Blooming scary if you don't understand boost-cut.

Boost-cut, or fuel-cut, for those that don't know what it is. Is when the ecu detects an "Over Boost" and cuts fuel to protect the engine, and when it does this it is very very harsh! Seriously its like hitting a brick wall.

The MEMS 1.6 ECU boost-cuts at 14.5psi. Looking at the boost gauge the car was hitting 1.25 bar (roughly 18 psi) so I stopped at some services and wound back the boost regulator 5 clicks (no idea what a click is, just seemed a good number) and continued to work.

The exact same thing happened at 1.25 bar, so at work I did some research and discovered that this particular car was built at 14psi of boost with standard internals, but must at some point have been wound up to about 22psi!!

So, I would back to 14 psi (roughly 1 bar) and the journey home had no boost-cuts at all. So problem solved.

BUT! On the A272 I was stuck behind a slow driver, hitting max speeds of 30 in nationals and 25 in the 50 zones... So, knowing my boost-cut issues were solved and knowing the road I decided to overtake.

<insert naughty words here> I dropped two gears and pulled out then floored it as you do, fighting the torque steer and within what felt like a second I hit 70 and couldn't see any cars behind me. Damn this thing is fast! and handles well when it needs to!

Checked my speed for the change in limit, checked my trousers and continued home... lesson learned, you don't need to floor the T16 when overtaking!!!

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote