View Single Post
Old 28-12-14, 03:51 PM   #1
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
ZS VVC track car project

OK, I've said for years its not about power, its about driver ability and chassis/cornering ability...so here it is...money where the mouth is...no willy waving of v8's, v10's, turbo's or superchargers here!!!

This is my little shoestring budget project.

A £250 car with a roll cage that hasn't turned a wheel on the road in 6 years. Some of you may recognise it from here http://www.zscentral.com/phpbb/chris...t2802-675.html

The plan is to carry on with what Chris started, with a few changes.

1800 VVC engine - may push the boat out for a remap!!!

The Z&F remap (and I assume superchips one too) raises the rev limiter to 7450, as the torque hasn't dropped off cliff edge, it still makes power, the reports are around 174ish bhp in a healthy engine, a nice gain from the 156bhp it left the factory with, but the factory cars really only revved to 7k (they hit 7300 once for the 0-60 press times, then the ecu would limit it to 7k)

Assuming the remap is worth 170bhp, that equates to a nats whisker off 189bhp per ton.

strip it and the target is 900kg.

polycarb windows, DIY to keep the cost down

plate the hole in the roof where the sunroof was!

Arch work to allow a wide track or wide rims, the car will accept 9J x17" rims running 235 tyres without rubbing on the arches.

It's a real shoestring budget, fortunately many parts that will be used have been donated. These parts were removed from a track car when it was built into a race car, they were removed for a reason, they are junk!!! But hey ho, they are free!!!
Corbeau race seats (I'll exclude these from the junk comment)
GAZ coilovers
Camber adjusters front and rear
accord type R brakes (good, but not lightweight)

The plan is lots of hard work, with minimal new parts. The windows for example will be cut with a jigsaw from an 8x4 sheet of polycarb, this will save money, although the rear window will be formed and fitted professionally.

The car is a mk1, the plan is to mk2 it.

possibly do a hybrid front bumper, a mk2 bumper that mates up to the mk1 lights? - what do you think? not sure myself.

It'll never win on the drag strip, nor the power circuits, but being an 1800, its light up front, so I'm kinda hoping it won't handle too bad.
Target circuit times are:

Mallory, 55.something!
Donington Nat 1m25.something
Oulton Park 2m5.something

maybe a bit atomistic, but its something to aim for.

Time for some hard graft, and most important of all, LEARN TO DRIVE!!! driver coaching/tuition is a must.

Last edited by Mark S; 28-12-14 at 07:48 PM.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote