View Single Post
Old 28-12-12, 04:14 PM   #47
sneekyparrot

sneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Well Its been a while so thought i would post a little update!

Engine Out and parked ready for strip down. I have just picked up a new large port AGU head, this will be matched to the large port inlet manifold then the whole lot ported for flow.
Motor will be stripped / checked / balanced and rebuilt will AGU pistons and rings to increase the compression ratio, hoping this little lot with the new Manifold / 550cc injectors will see around 325-330hp but with lower boost and lower egt's

Clutch looked worn but a quick chat with manufacturer and its only got 20-25% wear phew!

The chassis is now being fully stripped, stitch welded then repainted. After scouring the tinternet and finding a number of recommendations from restore guys i will be using POR15 materials for the underside which should be a dam sight better than the rather dubious MG/Rover finish! It seems the seam sealer is either a foot thick or missing completely, a number of joining panels have missed the welding machine completely and some of the floor plan covering is so thin the water has got behind it and it flaked off with very little effort!

I was a little surprised to find nothing along the front scuttle joining the 2 front sections of the roll cage, This will be installed along with gusseting which will fix the cage to the roof / A pillars / B pillars. I am also getting a local company to make me up some bracing for the rear strut housings, i did try and work a solution for the front struts but it was going to be far to much work so will prob just run a top brace.

Parts are still arriving! picked these up will only a couple of thou on them

Since the rebuild has ended up going much further than a thought, i am waiting for the right bits to come along at the right price although some will be bought new for my own piece of mind others from part builds or bought in error seem to come up more often than you think across the various civic forums.

Had no choice but to buy these the last set of spares from spc direct for the front upper arms. It would of been cheaper to buy new skunk or buddyclub units but i like the SPC's arms, in fact the best i have seen with integrated castor adjustment.

with all the hassles i had over suspected copies of the skunk 2 LCA i bought some 100% genuine items however apart from the serial numbers and 5 grooved bushes they are identical to the ones i already have, machining marks are the same and they both weigh in a just under 5lbs so i now have two sets

if anyone wants the other set then they will be up for grabs soon.

Will update again once all the welding has finished.

Paul