View Single Post
Old 01-02-13, 06:24 PM   #15
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
whatever else, get a engine hoist/crane.

Plus if you can do it on a hard standing so you can push/pull the crane into position.
There was block paving under the gravel......

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmy View Post
Engine hoist is being organised I think Pete and the car is sat on slabs so easy access
If it is slabs get something to spread the weight as the consentrated weight of the engine on the little wheels, especially the little ones at the front of the hoist can either a) put sufficiant weight on the slab to tilt it or b) crack the slabs. You can use ply but this can split or delaminate so thick (18mm or 25mm MDF is better but best is proberbly solid timber such as some lengths of resonable condition scafolding boards.

Block paving is better but you'll find that you have to move the crane in a snaking motion to get around i.e. move front left pivoting around front right, then move front right pivoting around front left.

Concrete is best but you'll need to snake over any expansion joints.

I think we left the rope on the block, if we did it is tied so that it is secure enough to lift the engine and is strong enough to take the weight, if I took it off sorry.

Hope I'm not teach grandma to suck eggs, been doing this sort of thing in hostile enviroments over the last 30 years.