Thread: Firefrost 180
View Single Post
Old 27-07-16, 01:51 PM   #44
MG ZS STE
Site Supporter

MG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really nice
Finally had some free time this weekend to get on to changing the thermostat. Not been putting this off but i didn’t want to do this until id covered some few hundred miles to see how bad the oil leak was. You may remember these images from a while ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG ZS STE View Post
But, I also discovered that the engine requires A&E.

after id cleaned these areas up i was able to trace the leak to the cam seals. Evidently it was emanating from behind the covers. This is a very low mileage car and has been stood a bit. This can have a negative effect on rubber, particularly seals. So, after id done a flush and oil change i dropped a can of Wynn’s stop leak in. And after 300 miles this is the same areas.

I will monitor this closely as i go. So onto the thermostat. Id done my BRG 180 Mk2 thermostat a couple of years ago. Id done this the hard way, removing the manifold, inlets, fuel rail. What a ball ache. This time i thought id try to do it keyhole. Thermostat out using keyhole method.

a few random bits i had to clean out the V as the drain hole was blocked.

But all went back together easier than it came out. It was the 90 degree pipe again that had failed, same as on the last one i changed. Sheared at the block end.

As id got the car up i thought I’d tackle some rusty looking areas. Cleaned up really well considering how bad they first appeared. will paint and underseal this weekend which will be my earliest opportunity.

and whilst i was at it thought id test fit my ratech splitter seeing as no one wanted it, I think i'll keep it now.