View Single Post
Old 01-05-18, 09:12 AM   #10
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
As long as you leave the instructor to do the teaching and you just practice it shouldn't do any harm.

I had one pupil who turned up for the lesson before her test slamming it down through the gears to slow down the car. When asked her boyfriend had told her that was how she should do it. I remaindered her that the gears are for going and the brakes are for slowing. She relaxed and sailed through her test.
That's a fair point - Just something to be wary about; passing on bad habits is easily done!

I know I am a "better" driver than I was when I first passed, but I would struggle to pass my test due to my wheel holding/turning habits - I'd have to really think about it and that would reduce my concentration on the outside world; I would probably be assessed to not be careful enough at junctions. (that's what I failed my first test on and I make decisions faster after 18+ years than I did then).

That and I think making use of a bit of rear axle steering is probably frowned upon

I do still however check all my mirrors when pulling off, still check my inside for cyclist when turning left, or the outside when crossing traffic - even when not in the city....
One other bit of advice that I was given by my instructor while I was doing pass plus (so post having my license) was:
"If you have to think about whether there is space to get out then you don't have the space"

As a general rule of thumb I've found that to be the most useful advice in the real world - although pending the car that decision is easier or harder!

The last thing I still adhere to was the advice:
"If you cause another motorist to perform a manoeuvre to avoid you, then you've made a mistake - and braking is a manoeuvre".
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote