theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 04-05-13, 07:00 PM   #1
s1nn0n

s1nn0n is on a distinguished road
Intermittent knocking noise

Hi all, I have an intermittent knocking noise coming from my engine. Today I replaced the inlet manifold, well I say replaced I removed the internals from it and replaced the spark plugs. I cant say that I noticed the knocking noise before, but then the manifold was probably causing it. The car drives perfectly, no hesitation and also idles perfectly. The noise in question, is as I say, very intermittent. It can happen when the car is cold, when its hot, and will come and go when driving the car. It sounds very much like the inlet manifold, but it cant be, and it still happens with both VIS unplugged. Any ideas please? I can try and get a video if it helps, but it doesn't always do it!
s1nn0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 07:13 PM   #2
POMPSKI

POMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the rough
Knocking? Or ticking? Are you sure it isnt just the purge valve?
POMPSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 07:14 PM   #3
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
If you've gutted the internals the vis wont do anything anyway.
Old 04-05-13, 07:15 PM   #4
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by POMPSKI View Post
Knocking? Or ticking? Are you sure it isnt just the purge valve?
This is simple to test, just unplug the purge valve.
Old 04-05-13, 07:16 PM   #5
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
The plug for the purge valve is on the intake just after the throttle body, when it starts tapping disconnect the plug, if the noise goes, you've found the cause.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 07:21 PM   #6
POMPSKI

POMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the rough
And if it is the cause, it is working perfectly fine
POMPSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 07:27 PM   #7
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
The purge valve is the black cylindrical bit just after the t/b, it has a pipe to the charcoal canister and a electrical plug

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 07:37 PM   #8
s1nn0n

s1nn0n is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the response guys, but no its not the purge valve, it does make a noise but still present with it disconnected. Its more of a knocking noise really, maybe loose spark plug, but wouldn't be intermittent. I went out to the car earlier with a screwdriver to pinpoint it further and was quiet as a mouse, although when driving along earlier sounded terrible. It gets more audible with the more revs that are applied.
s1nn0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 09:45 PM   #9
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
When did it last have a decent oil change? Could be a noisey cam lifter not getting sufficient oil?