theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 04-04-12, 09:00 PM   #1
vanishing days

vanishing days will become famous soon enough
air con removal

so my air con has never worked proparly and the system is now dry.

ive decided to keep the 180 for occasional use and was wondering is it worth removing the air con pipes and other bits for weight savings if so what bits should i remove and what should i leave i assume the condesor would need to stay as it connected to the aux belt but not sure on the rest
Old 04-04-12, 09:46 PM   #2
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
unless your going on a mega weight saving operation then dont know if its really worth it tbh, both the condensor and the evaporator are both alloy nd dont weigh much

youd need to keep the compressor which is probably the heaviest bit so belt could still run, you will need to get the system degassed(illegal to vent the gas to atmoshere)
the condensor is the radiator part, then there is the pipes and inside the car is the evaporator, would need to either block the holes where the evaporater goes into the heater box or get a non a/c heater box duct
Old 04-04-12, 09:54 PM   #3
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
As Richy says it is illigal to vent it to the atmosphere and there will be a residue in there, even if it is at atmospheric pressure as there will be no pressure to push it out.

The evaporator on the ZS isn't actually in the heater box but in the trunking behind the glove box.
Old 04-04-12, 09:58 PM   #4
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
i think unless youve stripped out the whole car then i dont really see the advantage, i mean wear a pair of boots and a jacket then its undone all that small effort,

only advantage i can think of is there will be less obstruction for the rad so it would cool better although it would mean the cooling fans wont mount up properly