theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 22-11-10, 12:13 PM   #1
lawrence-zs180

lawrence-zs180 is on a distinguished road
starting to wear a little thin!

ok so I know this should be in the braking section but hey lol.
Now that I have fixed the...well... quite shocking bleeding I did the other day my dam o/s front disc/pad has picked up one of those squeeks.. nice!

So what causes it and how can it be solved.. im I looking at new pads again?
Hope not because it had new everything for the mot not even 400 miles ago. Its not damaging the disc.. it just squeels in traffic driving which sounds dead nice... not!

Last edited by lawrence-zs180; 22-11-10 at 12:14 PM. Reason: omg why cant I type today!!!
lawrence-zs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-10, 12:17 PM   #2
Leigh_EvoIX

Leigh_EvoIX has a spectacular aura aboutLeigh_EvoIX has a spectacular aura about
Reassemble the pads with some copper slip on the rear of them...
Leigh_EvoIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-10, 12:24 PM   #3
lawrence-zs180

yea I though a rebuild might not be a bad idea.. its already got copper slip on the backs.. could be some crap stopping them from moving freely though..mmmm
Old 22-11-10, 12:28 PM   #4
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Hopefully the discs haven't been glazed at all. What I tend to do when fitting new pads is to chamfer the edges by around 1-1.5mm and cross-cut the surface using a hacksaw to about 0.5-1.0mm deep no more, 8mm apart as I find it helps to bed them in. Done this for over 20 years and don't get any squealing and rids the pads of any residual surface particles. Then the usual coppaslip of all shims and moving surfaces.
Old 22-11-10, 12:53 PM   #5
lawrence-zs180

thats a awsome idea, cheers mick!!
Old 22-11-10, 05:56 PM   #6
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
might just be glazed up, just take them out give tha pads a sand on a flat surface with some 40/80 grit paper, same with the discs but you can do that on the car, some brake cleaner as well afterwards on the disc to get rid of any oil/grease ect,
then take the slides off the carrier, clean the carrier itself with a small screwdriver scraping off any rust and then clean the stainless slides with a small screwdriver or wire brush, clean up the touching edges of the pads where they touch the carrier and apply a small amount of copperslip to them, not too much or it becomes a brake dust trap and theyll end up sticking again,
make sure the pads slide in easy and out again, shouldnt take much force to remove them again, and if the discs are lipped just sand the top and bottom edges of the pad slightly so it misses the lip
then before putting the caliper back on greas the piston edge that toched the back of the pad and the front part that will come in contact with the outside pad and your all good to go, some cheap pads or harder peformance pads are squeky till they warm so worth while bearing in mind
Old 22-11-10, 06:22 PM   #7
lawrence-zs180

cheers dude, there oe spec pads.. and they squeek from the off so it looks like a rebuild then.. well I was short of something to do on thursday so thats handy haha.
Old 22-11-10, 06:30 PM   #8
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
shouldnt be take too long to do tbh, just the 2 12mm to take off and after that its just a lot of cleaning
Old 22-11-10, 06:35 PM   #9
lawrence-zs180

bloody better not rain thurs lol.. got the new front bib splitter and cupra bit going on, and a test of the vis motors :-)