theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 06-07-09, 01:14 PM   #1
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Getting my car back soon

Sorry if the wrong palce...

but i am some-what happy to found out that my car has so far completed 100 test miles....

so after it (hopefully) passes its MOT this week or next i will be heading down to see Matt Reidy in yeovil, and i will be driving my car again

There is a build thread on xpf for those that are interested in what rally matt has been upto the past few months with it - in the engine section titled tuned L-series

I can't wait, esp as i have heard it is quite rapid now
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-09, 02:49 PM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I'm sure it will be well worth the wait and is in very good hands. It'll be like having a new car all over again.
Old 06-07-09, 04:41 PM   #3
mattie007

mattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nice
Nice one! Your car did look very good when I saw it at Matts place. The intercooler was pretty mean too!
Old 06-07-09, 05:42 PM   #4
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
i only seen the one pic on xpf of the FMIC, and two that were e to my carpy phone so not the most detailed....

It is going to be like a new car again - i am almost as nervous and excited i was the day before i picked it up when i bought it...

I am however not looking forward to the turning circle, the visibility parking, and the street with cars up 2 sides (turning it into a single track road) - oh and a quite aggressive clutch action...

but on the move i am sure it will be worth the hassle....

hmm now how many miles can i put on it before i head to france in august..... pity Le mans is open for public use, will be driving right past it lol

I just really really hope and pray i dont bend it after all this time - i think Matt would come down and kill me after he has put all this effort into it... and put up with my stubborness wanting to keep my Ac.....
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 06-07-09, 05:49 PM   #5
Phate

Phate is an unknown quantity at this point
Because moving the cursor up to the address bar, painstakingly deleting whats there and typing in XPF can you give us a summary of whats been done?
Old 06-07-09, 08:05 PM   #6
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Wink

I'm glad it's all sorted, hope you can get to one of the meets so we can see it.
peterzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-09, 08:44 PM   #7
afcbadam

afcbadam is on a distinguished road
the Rolling road day at janspeed will be the ideal place to show it off....and see what's shes made off!

what figures you after ??

Regal Autosport Astra GSI Turbo 304 bhp 356 lb/ft

Thorney motorsport Vectra vxr 305bhp 398lbft

Now its time to build a big turbo MG ZS

afcbadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 09:54 AM   #8
p_b82
Site Supporter

K quick summary for lazy people

I have popped in a set of very aggresive injectors that require an upgraded turbo - I went for a hybrid version of the GT 1549 - it has been machined out and strengthed to shoe horn the parts from a TD5 unit. Can't get anything bigger unless get a larger turbo - that has additional lag issues and custom pipework etc...

I have had a gearbox uprated and a quiafe atb popped in - clutch uprated to a Helix cerametalilc sprung plate with a helix uprated cover - is quite aggressive but it can cope with the torque

Hydraulics have been whipped out as the OE stuff would have done a 180 impression and broke - with a part list from a guy on .org and rally matt's approach got a custom set made up using rover600 parts - Sheddist kit is not available for a diesel (but will be soon i read)

After this was fitted i took it down to see Matt Reidy, and the clutch slave cylinder mounting bracket sheared while it was on the Dyno... had only got as far as taking fuel out - back to rally Matt to get that sorted and car was with me again end of novemeber...

before i got it booked in with Matt Reidy, i blew the Head gasket - went between the fire ring on number 4 - typical place for the L-series and the prima perkins before it...

To stop this happening again - as it was casued by the turbo boost and fuel, we have got some ARP head studs fitted to it, Matt has treated the HG with some special copper sealant. He has also done some porting work on the head while it was off, and fitted a racing spec Huge FMIC to it, which we built thermocouples into it on either side to get inlet and outlet temps.

Being the perfectionist that Matt is he has spent a fair bit of time identifying the most effective pipework combination for the FMIC and lagged exposed metal bits to help with engine bay temps...

I have however just found out that the head can cope with the increased temps, but the coolant system does not seem to be able to - it just threw the coolant out the top of the expansion bottle when the pressures got too high

I have also got a thermocouple hooked into my blanked EGR system to read the exhaust gas temps - they are hitting 800C+ when on full boost, so still a bit hot...

As it is throwing its toys out the pram a bit, i think i need to get to down to see matt before any dyno runs are made, but we need to wait for a new centre section to arrive as mine just went.. typically...

From HG blowing to now has been about 7 months, hence why i am quite excited

Figures could be as much as 200bhp, but i will be happy with 180 (or less tbh). Torque is likely to be limited to around 270lbsft from 2000rpm to about 4000... but this is all dependant on Matt's Magic with his mapping

the setup i have got can probably take 310 plus - as we have seen another L-series return those figures, however i am not sure that that would be sustainable long term, even with the effort we have gone to....

It is the high compression ratio of this engine that is giving us the good figures\economy, but hampering our tuning. it is 19.5:1 - mine will be a touch higher as it has been skimmed
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 07-07-09, 10:23 AM   #9
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
That is impressive reading, so what has been done with regards the coolant issue?
Old 07-07-09, 10:41 AM   #10
p_b82
Site Supporter

Well, i only just found out that it is not up to it about an hour ago, is fine until sustianed full boost is asked of it.

We have set the boost quite low at 22PSI, the turbo recommended max level i 26, with engineering max at 28...

Matt (rally) is going to stick some millers additive into the coolant to see if it helps, the problems apepars to be the retained heat in the block\head itself, even after you take full throttle away, the temps still rise - well over 100C. (fans on mine kick in at 102 and 120 depending on speed).

the average water temps were 88C for normal crusiing and 92C when you slow down after a spirited run when it was unmolested. before the FMIC i was not able to get it over 98C, but the HG went so is hard to know what it would have done if that did not fail....

Matt believes that the issue now is the FMIC is causing much more efficient use of the fuel, and a combination of that and the current MAP on the ECU is just a bit too much for it.

So i think i am just going to get the mapping adjusted to keep it below this level, i will sacrifice bragging right figures, but it is better than having to keep a load of OAT in the boot

Unless there are any other suggestions?
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports