theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 22-12-12, 06:01 PM   #1
Stev180

Stev180 is on a distinguished road
My time in the ZS 180 has come to an end

Hi everyone, some of you will know I have only really used the site over the past year since owning my own MG ZS 180. I would like to thank anyone who has helped me on here and the information I have read has increased my knowledge since joining. I must say I covered about 7,000 miles in the past year with no faults at all. In that time I only had to change the front wipers and oil/filter change. I have only had MGR cars since passing my test in 2006 and felt like I needed an upgrade.

Always had a soft spot for the MK5 Golf R32 but being so expensive its not justifiable, earlier in the year I helped my bro find a A3 3.2 V6 (took 4 months to find the right one) and I must say I have been on the look out for one everyday since then. Found one Tuesday night (just listed on Autotrader), travelled Weds (left a deposit) and Thursday it was mine!

Brilliant Black, Audi A3 3.2 V6 S LINE (including front and rear bumpers) Manual, 1 owner since new, full Audi SH, all Audi invoices, 43,000 miles, im really impressed with it. The BOSE stereo is out of this world (well compared to the MGR stuff anyway!) Only thing that is going to kill me is the £460 tax as its a 56 2006 plate (I have paid for the year)

I start a new job in the new year doing 40 miles a day and cant think of anything better for me.

Thanks again everyone. I still love MG's and may return to the ZS 180 if dad decides to change his car (celestial blue 180). But now its seems I have made the right choice.
Stev180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-12, 06:08 PM   #2
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Nice car mate - not one I'd have chosen, but if you like it that's all that counts I suppose. Read about these the other day when I was reading an old road test. It was up against a few GT types including the ZT V8, M3, Megane 225, and a Monaro ....

ZT260 won the test.... Won't say where the Audi was placed ....
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-12, 07:24 PM   #3
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Clean looking car but it wouldn't be my first choice either, personally I'd rather have a Rover or MG over an Audi or VW and I worked for the local VW/Audi dealer as a driver for 3 years.
Old 22-12-12, 07:28 PM   #4
Stev180

Cheers, im 23 so a 3-door hatch like this is perfect imo, not sure why they would put the Megane in the same road test as an M3? Surprisied that the ZT won as im sure I have a old MGR article that stated the 260 is two thirds of an M3 lol
Old 22-12-12, 07:31 PM   #5
Stev180

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
Clean looking car but it wouldn't be my first choice either, personally I'd rather have a Rover or MG over an Audi or VW and I worked for the local VW/Audi dealer as a driver for 3 years.
Thanks, why do you think that? How about if given the money would you still choose MGR over Audi/VW? I can see why I have paid so much for an Audi compared to how much our 180's are worth, im happy with the difference.
Old 22-12-12, 08:00 PM   #6
bowthruster

bowthruster has a spectacular aura aboutbowthruster has a spectacular aura about
Very nice car.I must say that my dad has always had vw but mainly audi's all his life,and he's never had any trouble.Guess hes lucky! All the best and enjoy driving before the goverment puts it beyond reach for us normal people
bowthruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-12, 08:14 PM   #7
Quadcam24

Quadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the rough
it may not be every one's first choice but no'one can deny its 10 times the car that any zs 180 is, they're not even comparable.
The zs might be a little more nimble through a series of bends but everywhere else the audi is leagues ahead and given a choice of the 2 no'one would take the zs, even for the simple fact you could sell the audi and buy 10 zs ....and that fact alone says it all.
I understand brand loyalty but for anyone who is prepared to remove the blinkers and take a look , they will find a whole new level compared to anything mgr.
i was blinkered when i had my zs, but ive since experienced many more brands and believe me the grass really is greener over there !
Old 22-12-12, 08:24 PM   #8
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Considering the zs is based on an 18 year old design it is hardly surprising that the Audi is better in so many ways.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-12, 08:54 PM   #9
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Think its just the MG thing, we all know that our cars are old school now, but we love them for what they are.

Never going to be able to compare them to newer models, but put 10 years on the new modern cars and will they have the following our ZS's, or ZR's, have now??

Car choice is up to the individual and I say good luck and enjoy whatever you drive, just that I like the MG brand and all the fun that brings!!!

A3 looks good and have fun.

Old 22-12-12, 09:06 PM   #10
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
I'm pleased for Steve, he has found a car he likes - if we all liked the same thing the roads would be full of mk1 zs saloons in TY.

Call me strange but I like a car with a bit of personality. In the 3 years I drove 10 or more newish VW's and Audi's plus other makes every day and very few stuck in the mind, the most memorable one was a 10 year old mk2 Golf GTi 4 door in oak green. Taking the maestro as an example as I've owned more of these than any other single model of car, each one was different, each one had it's own traits. When I was working there I changed from a 1600 maestro to a 2.0i monty estate, comparable car was a passat estate but they were only 5 seaters or an audi 100 estate.........