theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 30-12-12, 12:25 PM   #1
bowthruster

bowthruster has a spectacular aura aboutbowthruster has a spectacular aura about
Wet passenger carpet

Just noticed this morning coolant has dropped a little bit,and my windscreen was heavily misted up,so checked carpets,and passenger one is Soaked,took it for 8mile drive,temps fine,everything else seems ok heater etc.No leaks on floor in garage,no mayo on cap.Im just hoping thats its not the HG...What should i check first?The hg was supposely done at 90k,but have no paperwork for it.Any advice appreciated
Work safe, and remember all technical problems can be resolved with a hammer, the trick is knowing where to hit it and how big a hammer to use (I often find it may also help to have a spare bit in the shed to replace the bit you have just mullered
bowthruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-12, 12:32 PM   #2
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
The heater matrix can leak, or the clips on the hoses might leak.

Do you have a pollen filter, that can cause problems and let in rain water.

Manifold inlet gasket can let water burn up in the engine and not show as drips/pools on the floor.

Might be worth getting a sniff test done.

Hope its not too bad.

Old 30-12-12, 12:37 PM   #3
bowthruster

bowthruster has a spectacular aura aboutbowthruster has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the info,the pollen filters behind the glovebox-will check that in a min.whats the sniff test and how much is it??Thanks
Work safe, and remember all technical problems can be resolved with a hammer, the trick is knowing where to hit it and how big a hammer to use (I often find it may also help to have a spare bit in the shed to replace the bit you have just mullered
Old 30-12-12, 12:42 PM   #4
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
It may also be the heater intake, have a feel around the back of the heater box for wetness, if the pollen filter is soaked it will almost certainly be the intake leak.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-12, 12:44 PM   #5
bowthruster

Thanks, now going to check it.
Old 30-12-12, 12:55 PM   #6
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Was it this wet?
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-12, 12:57 PM   #7
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Sniff test is a probe they put just above the coolant filler and it can tell if there are hydrocarbons in the coolant.

If there are it is a sign of head gasket failure.

You can also do a pressure test on the system, that pumps up the pressure, leaves it overnight and see if it has kept the pressure. If not, its a sign of a leak somewhere in the system.

Dont know how much but shouldnt be much, might be worth a call or drop into a friendly MG garage if you have one near you.
Old 30-12-12, 12:58 PM   #8
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillen View Post
Was it this wet?
Think I just saw one of those carp in there.
Old 30-12-12, 01:02 PM   #9
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Think I just saw one of those carp in there.
I did have one in there, but those damn otters took it!

That puddle is what the ZR greeted me with this morning!
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-12, 01:13 PM   #10
bowthruster

Christ! Its not as bad as that.Just wet not a lake.Heres the glove box pict but how to i get into it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glovebox.jpg (86.5 KB, 26 views)