theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 16-04-12, 08:48 AM   #1
coreen

coreen is on a distinguished road
Urgent help needed

Hi, I am still having loads of problems with my mg. 8 weeks ago it wouldn't start and our mechanic said it was the fuel pump, this was changed but the car then revved at over 2000 when idle and had a massive judder/miss fire, the main fan was also running constantly. It was plugged into a code reader and we then changed the purge valve and IACV, there was a small improvement but not much. It was plugged back into a code reader and 2 x temp sensors were changed, still no change. We have now changed the ECU and the car ran fine last nigt but only took it about 10 miles. I have gne to use it this morning and it is now revving between 2000 and upto 3000 when idle, the main fan isn't contantly running though and the juddering/missfire is back. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be because we are running out of parts to change!
coreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12, 03:07 PM   #2
bonsai

bonsai is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

the hi revs sound like the iacv wich you say you changed but defo sounds like its sticking,as for judderig misfire coil packs perhaps?also has the fuel filter and plugs been changed?

Last edited by bonsai; 16-04-12 at 03:09 PM. Reason: more info
bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12, 03:26 PM   #3
andy-81

andy-81 has a spectacular aura aboutandy-81 has a spectacular aura about
i agree with bonsai you could do with changing the coil packs to see if that is causing the problem have you changed the mass airflow sensor or possibly the egr valve if it has one if the mass air flow is just sticky it wont show on the diagnostic as faulty i dont think but it definatly sounds like a electronic timing fault this is far as my knowledge goes i'm afraid but i hope it helps
andy-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12, 03:38 PM   #4
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Assume you 1.8 engine?

Have you per chance got the throttle cable too tight??

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12, 03:55 PM   #5
coreen

coreen is on a distinguished road
It is a 1.8. It has just been plugged into a diagnostic machine and has only come up with a speed sensor fault. I think the coil packs have been changed and the plugs have all been cleaned and checked. I'm not sure if the fuel filter was changed when we changed the fuel pump - I will have to check. A different mechanic has said these problems could be to do with the lambda sensor but he didn't say which one - is this possible?
coreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12, 04:29 PM   #6
andy-81

andy-81 has a spectacular aura aboutandy-81 has a spectacular aura about
are the revs erratic or do they stay like that whilst the engine is running? im inclined to say no the lambda censor is not the problem as when mine went last week i never had half as many problems as yours mine just ran lumpy whilst driving
andy-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12, 04:34 PM   #7
RalphG

RalphG is on a distinguished road
Have you/your mechanic checked the plug for the ECU? Its possible that one of the connectors has been pushed out, which could lead to these symptoms. Alternatively, check the cable to the ECU as this may be damaged.

By how much do those who have gained by war fall short of the number of those who have perished in it? No doubt you will reply that there can be no comparison, that the dead cannot be numbered, while the living who have been rewarded may be summed up with three figures.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12, 05:03 PM   #8
Zippy Saloon

Zippy Saloon is on a distinguished road
I've seen reports of the big connector under the throttle body causing all sorts of problems, could be worth checking out - recommended fix I saw was to do away with connector altogether and solder / heatshrink each wire - needs to be done one at a time as they aren't particularly colour coded.

Driven the MG6 once but I'll be more careful in the future
Zippy Saloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12, 05:23 PM   #9
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
I was wondering if you had it on a rolling road, would the faults show up?????

Maybe worth giving the nearest R/R car tuner garage a ring and asking the question.
peterzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12, 05:25 PM   #10
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS View Post
Have you per chance got the throttle cable too tight??
Check this... I had similar issues with my old 216 and it turned out to be this

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote