theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 07-11-10, 01:11 PM   #1
mattie007

mattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nice
MPH Show

Went to the MPH show yesterday (courtesy of MG Motor) and I was very impressed.

The car felt very solid and looked the part aswell, looks alot nicer in the flesh.
Doors closed with a nice 'thud' instead of the 'clunk' associated with my ZS! Only thing I didnt like was the cheap feeling glovebox, the 'carbon' trim around the gear surround and the plastic handbrake. Car seems well specced, even in basic trim and the leather seats were nice indeed. Cant wait to try one out!

Reckon it will look very nice with a bodykit

Last edited by mattie007; 07-11-10 at 01:14 PM.
mattie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 05:08 PM   #2
Alan.F

Alan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the rough
sorry but MG is dead now i can't see anyone buying it now its been way to long and people have moved on.

Alan.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 05:19 PM   #3
kkman

kkman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan.F View Post
sorry but MG is dead now i can't see anyone buying it now its been way to long and people have moved on.
Now,MG is reborn,sometimes people need to move on, don't stuck in the past memory...

MG need to adjust itself to suit customer's taste rather than persuading customer to accept its never-changed style.

MG-ZS 1.8L

MG-KKman 0.18L
kkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 06:05 PM   #4
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
i am quite liking it, hope its as good underneath, would like one on a ramp ect have a good poke about, least they have a big stand at a motor show get some people to see it, its still early days theyll adjust it make it good, just hope some uk jobs can be made from it
Old 07-11-10, 06:56 PM   #5
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Here's a thought, put a line up of similar cars together, remove all badges and see what people think. It looks anonymous amongest todays styling and nothing that smacks MG at you whatsoever.

For it to be a serious MG it needs to surpass the older version in terms of a raw drivers car, unless it has some serious chassis set up and an awesome powerplant I cannot see it doing much at all in the UK. Those of us that know MG will be comparing it and those that know of MG today will think it is another 'Korean' style made car, poor build quality, poor spec and no residual value. It'll take some serious PR work to make it sell, I hope I am proved wrong.
Old 07-11-10, 07:13 PM   #6
Zippy Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Here's a thought, put a line up of similar cars together, remove all badges and see what people think. It looks anonymous amongest todays styling and nothing that smacks MG at you whatsoever.
If I were in the market for a new car now I very much doubt I'd be beating a path to my local MG dealer for these reasons plus quite a few more.
I'd rather get a Skoda, Seat etc, even possibly a Kia.
Not an MG, its an unknown car from an unknown Chinese manufacturer. When made in UK it would be vaguely more appealing, but still not really a contender IMO.

Would people even consider it if they hadn't got the MG name, anyone for a Roewe Sport?

Cue Windy...
Old 07-11-10, 07:37 PM   #7
mattie007

mattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchyp View Post
i am quite liking it, hope its as good underneath, would like one on a ramp ect have a good poke about, least they have a big stand at a motor show get some people to see it, its still early days theyll adjust it make it good, just hope some uk jobs can be made from it
Its had positive reviews from all the major car mags. Handling is supposed to be better than the class leading Focus.
Id certainly consider one.
Old 07-11-10, 08:12 PM   #8
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
When I spoke to the guy on the stand, he was saying that for ages, MG has been like a tuning fork of a mainstream manufacturer.

Now they are a proper marque in their own right.

In order to be a success - that means that they will have to sell basic spec - ordinary cars - allbeit with a decent platform to ensure decent handling across the range.

My own take is this - If all the cars look the same - cost the same and offer the same spec - why NOT buy an MG. Chances are that the MGs will be cheaper, and built in Longbridge -If they handle better - WHY NOT ?

Last edited by Dan1971; 07-11-10 at 08:15 PM.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 09:48 PM   #9
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post

My own take is this - If all the cars look the same - cost the same and offer the same spec - why NOT buy an MG. Chances are that the MGs will be cheaper, and built in Longbridge -If they handle better - WHY NOT ?
I can see your point, but on the flipside what would it be worth when you wanted to sell it on? Afterall Dan, after say a month or less in your possession it would have lost so much money! It'll take some time for a new manufacturer to stake their place and to hold residual values. It took Skoda a while to be taken serious, so you never know.
Old 08-11-10, 06:58 AM   #10
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
I can see your point, but on the flipside what would it be worth when you wanted to sell it on? Afterall Dan, after say a month or less in your possession it would have lost so much money! It'll take some time for a new manufacturer to stake their place and to hold residual values. It took Skoda a while to be taken serious, so you never know.
Yes, but even when MG were part of MG Rover their residuals never really set the world alight and as you said these things take time. Basically it is a fresh start but unlike say a brand new company there is a small build of founds with the MG name not a huge start but possibly better than an entirely new name.
As cars go, it is quite handsome imo and if you peel off the MG parts of the zed range they were nothing special stylewise, did not have a good rep for reliability or build but the ZR was still top selling hatch and ZS was often praised extremely highly for it's handling. If the basics are right that is all that is needed