theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-10, 11:07 AM   #11
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by StragglaSteve View Post
so with regards to stripping out the car, it didnt effect your chassis stiffness without a roll-cage put in?

only asking as im soon to be doing this. looking to take out the rear seats/seat mounting bars. along with the rear seatbelts and the bar they are mounted in which runs along the parcel shelf.

this should leave the whole back end open and i assumed it would effect the stiffness?

or did you not remove those bars?
I have removed all the above, left the bolt in side fabs, you'll see when you remove the rear seats. Chassis stiffness is not affected by any of this, just soundproofing! Suspension braces inner and outer will improve the rear end stiffness. Roll cage will indeed stiffen the whole car up as long as it is fitted well and uses the 'A' pillar plates. You can improve this further still if you project the front and rear cage to the suspension turrets.

When I built my V8 Chevette, this was a semi-space frame design as I removed the whole front end including the bulkhead and tunnel leaving the front crossmember. I projected the front cage through the new bulkhead to include front suspension mounts. That stiffened it up nicely, the rear end was turreted as it was modified to group 4 HS spec.