theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 24-07-13, 09:05 PM   #1
redzed

redzed has a spectacular aura aboutredzed has a spectacular aura about
Looks good, you got to trim much off the inner arch? Rubbing issues? Get some more pics!
Old 24-07-13, 09:19 PM   #2
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by redzed View Post
Looks good, you got to trim much off the inner arch? Rubbing issues? Get some more pics!
I've only had one rubbing issue on the OSR and that was coming to the bottom of a hill and accellerating away so not needed to trim anything yet.
In all honesty it's making me want more width on my tyres now too!

More pics will come I promise it's crying out for a good polish up and clay bar first though!

I tried a couple pics tonight but my phone is terrible at the light so you can't see the wheels properly underneath the car!
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-13, 09:42 PM   #3
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough

Any good for ya Red?
Old 31-07-13, 08:46 AM   #4
Skillen

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzed View Post
Now I've had it mot'd and got chance to use it properly on the road I've noticed some rubbing issues.

Firstly glad to say that speed bumps have been fine with no rubbing at a normal speed.

The main running problem is dips in the road.
Mostly at speeds over 40mph any dip that causes the suspension to compress scrubs the wheels.

Now thankfully it's only been a few times on the way to work but back roads in Cumbria, while fun, aren't the best kept!

What's the best way to remedy this rubbing?
Tbh I am wanting it lowered too but this will obviously exacerbate things.

What have the people with the 8 and 9j wheels done?

Also got a brand new primed front grill for spraying and I'll then get to modifying the original to take the bars out at a later date.
Old 31-07-13, 09:23 AM   #5
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I'll need to report back later as not driven the zed with the 8js, only to and from MOT test station. Expect some more work to make me happy, did some arch rolling but the rears are no good as little give available. Really needs some fettling as mine is lower than standard but not as low as it once was! Front arch liners removed and rolled okay. Full lock I get rubbing but who doesn't?
Old 31-07-13, 09:30 AM   #6
Skillen

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
I'll need to report back later as not driven the zed with the 8js, only to and from MOT test station. Expect some more work to make me happy, did some arch rolling but the rears are no good as little give available. Really needs some fettling as mine is lower than standard but not as low as it once was! Front arch liners removed and rolled okay. Full lock I get rubbing but who doesn't?
I don't get rubbing on lock but widening it out 20mm each side would mean it wouldn't rub on lock!

Are you running without the arch liners now then?
Old 31-07-13, 09:42 AM   #7
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Yea I took them out as they were worn from when I had 18s fitted, plus rolling the fronts meant I flattened the arch tabs. I'll look at them later to see if it is worth reverting back at some point. Not a daily driver so won't be subject to the usual road dirt but will get jetwashed in and around there frequently.
Old 31-07-13, 11:32 AM   #8
Skillen

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Yea I took them out as they were worn from when I had 18s fitted, plus rolling the fronts meant I flattened the arch tabs. I'll look at them later to see if it is worth reverting back at some point. Not a daily driver so won't be subject to the usual road dirt but will get jetwashed in and around there frequently.
Well mine has a big hole currently where it came loose and wore through where it covers the washer bottle.

What does rolling actually do then?
Flatten the bit that sticks out only? Or widen as well?
Would this actually work with the mk2 kit?

Would sticking some camber arms front and back negate the need to roll?
Old 31-07-13, 12:00 PM   #9
stamford
Site Owner

Rolling closes the inner lip down flat and some flaring can be achieved but requires a lot of effort. Doesn't work too well with adjacent plastic panels as it'll only reform the steel. MK2 won't work at a guess due to the arch add on sections, not sure but assuming that.

Camber kit will do the trick if you can get it set-up with optimum geometry but prepare for requiring a little more than usual and worn tyres. It'll look like most VW euro look, running on the inner edge!