theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 06-02-10, 10:21 PM   #1
Southside_ZS

Southside_ZS is on a distinguished road
Going to look at a 180 tomorow, what should i look for?

Owned a few ZS's now but all been 4 pots. Going to look at a mk1 180 tomorow so need some advice of what to look for.

I know about the vis motors and the clutch problems but what is it on these two things that i actually need to look at\listen for?

Also i know the v6 isn't that common for hgf but when it does go is it the same symptoms as the 4 pot? mayo under oil cap and in the expansion tank?
Southside_ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-10, 10:30 PM   #2
grimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside_ZS View Post
Owned a few ZS's now but all been 4 pots. Going to look at a mk1 180 tomorow so need some advice of what to look for.

I know about the vis motors and the clutch problems but what is it on these two things that i actually need to look at\listen for?

Also i know the v6 isn't that common for hgf but when it does go is it the same symptoms as the 4 pot? mayo under oil cap and in the expansion tank?
HGF signs show up the same in all cars i think as for the 180 the vis motors and inlet manifold listen for rattling from mostly the drivers side around the inlet manifold, when driving the car if there is a noticeable kick around 3000 revs the vis are playing up, also check under the engine cover in the v of the engine for orange gunge a sign the thermostat housing is leaking as for the clutch it is the slave cylinder that goes mostly but i think that is quite hit and miss and can go at any time, check for the belts having been done as it's expensive to do and mk2's horn and alarm sounders get wet far to easily and die.
Old 06-02-10, 11:02 PM   #3
Nor

Nor is a jewel in the roughNor is a jewel in the roughNor is a jewel in the rough
A 180 should feel pretty lively anywhere in the rev range. If it feels slow, then something's not quite right.
Old 07-02-10, 06:58 AM   #4
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Other things which are less of a problem but will help knock down the price are

1) fan speeds 1 and/or 2 on the mk1 not working
2) AC not blowing really cold
3) windows, especially the drivers side, not going all the way down and up smoothly
4) brakes binding
Old 07-02-10, 08:35 AM   #5
Southside_ZS

Well its cheap enough as it is hence me going to view it. Its got no service book so i dont know about belts but its only got 37k miles and seller claims to have all old mot's to back it up so well see later.
Old 07-02-10, 09:09 AM   #6
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside_ZS View Post
Well its cheap enough as it is hence me going to view it. Its got no service book so i dont know about belts but its only got 37k miles and seller claims to have all old mot's to back it up so well see later.
Then plan to spend about £600 on a full service and belt change straight away.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-10, 09:41 AM   #7
Southside_ZS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Then plan to spend about £600 on a full service and belt change straight away.
To be honest if the belt snaps the belt snaps. At the price i've been offered it for im not gonna lose alot as if the worst hapened i could make my money back breaking it. I'll give it an oil service but im to fussed about spending all that money on the belts.
Old 07-02-10, 11:51 AM   #8
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Then good luck....

Must admit, the idea of someone running it until it dies is pretty interesting just to see how long it'd go for. Crack on with it mate ...

Last edited by Dan1971; 07-02-10 at 12:00 PM.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-10, 01:39 PM   #9
mattie007

mattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nicemattie007 is just really nice
As long as it don't snap at high speeds!
Old 07-02-10, 05:58 PM   #10
Southside_ZS

Well i bought it, Turned out to be better than expected. VIS motors are silent, 35k miles which i beleive is genuine, All mot's seam to add up with mileage seats are mint with no wear and minimal creasing including the drivers bolster. only 2 previous owners from new first being someone in admin at Longbridge.

Monogram colour with monogram interior. Bodywork does have a few marks on it but my mate owns a bodyshop so not fussed about that it was the engine i was most worried about but it pulls like a train in all gears.

All for the sum of £1100 with 2 months tax and 8months mot. Will get some pics up when i've washed it.