theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 24-01-12, 06:25 PM   #1
Drew

Drew has a spectacular aura aboutDrew has a spectacular aura about
seen a few gearlinkage mods that use a steering uj to replace the original link. i liked the idea but not the finish. so i found a nicer uj on the net..

welded on, rubber boot for protection (which i filled with grease before fitting to the car).

perfect fit on the gearbox. got myself a short shift gearstick at the same time, all fits on, but tbh the 2 linkages (stabiliser and selector) are a bit too close for my liking.

Drew
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-12, 07:28 PM   #2
Drew

as id replaced a lot of suspension bushes i though id look at what else could be replaced. i see the stabiliser bushes were very loose fitting and quite rubbish when looked at them properly.

found some bushes on the net that looked close to what i had, fitted pretty well..

so upper large and small bushes in the stabilers fitted very well. lower rear stabiliser large bush fts too.

the small bush in the sump didnt, so i made an acetal bush to fit in there instead.

Drew
Old 24-01-12, 07:34 PM   #3
Drew

could have seen on another thread but the charger rubbed on the bonnet sound deadening. instead of just taking the stuff off i decided it would be better to lower the engine a little. small benefits like lower centre of gravity could be taken from that but in the real world i dont think happened.

after looking at the mounts i see its quite easy to lower the engine as the v6 hangs from its mounts, so i made some spacers to go between them and bought some longer bolts.

worked well, no more rubbing.

Drew
Old 24-01-12, 07:46 PM   #4
Drew

while the charger was away i started looking for other options. throttle bodies sounded like a good possibility on a mildly tuned engine. asking around found some Triumph 955 TB's with similar port spacing to the kv6 (thanks Dave 'GTMSpyder')

ordered 2 sets from ebay usa..

as i knew the charger fitted under the bonnet i could take some measurements and see what i could get away with..

although they are quite small i decided i didn't need any of the extra fittings the bike had, so machined them off..

so trying to make the TB's fit onto the std manifolds i machined a block up to suit..

fits ok on my spare engine..

the first idea of fitting to the engine..

I'm think of moving them round a bit but in essence thats where they will be.

Drew
Old 24-01-12, 07:53 PM   #5
Drew

got myself a DTA S80. will be wiring it in soon as im now pretty much finished with the suspension and other extra's.

never really liked the idea of the piggyback on the charger so wanted to change that for full control aftermarket ecu.

while the charger was at sprintex i asked if they had a drawing of the pulley so i could make a smaller one for a little more boost. when i got the charger back they had sent another pulley in the box! bonus.

hopefully see 5/6psi and better fuel/ignition control with the dta on there.

Drew
Old 24-01-12, 07:59 PM   #6
Drew

started looking at why the cams didnt give me any more power, got my dti's out, pipers std timing marks (although they told me they were pretty accurate) were infact miles out.

as piper dont have any verniers and were not interested in making some more, i modded a set of std pulley into verniers. give me about 8dgr movement, was enough for what i needed.

set about timing them into the correct figures at tdc. couldnt actually get pipers recommended figures of 2.23in, 1.98exh at tdc as the pistons were touching the valves.
called piper to see if they could give me some other timing figures....less than helpful tbh.

ended up with 2.0in, 1.8exh. hopefully give me the extra i was looking for.

Drew
Old 24-01-12, 07:54 PM   #7
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
That was the reason I was after a dummy engine so I could mock up something. I miss being 'hands on' but have access to machine shops and as I use 3D software all day I can sneak the odd home project in

Enjoying the thread Drew, projects that I find interesting and would do myself if I had the money and space. Used to do alot of this years ago when I had a workshop and machine tools.
Old 24-01-12, 08:01 PM   #8
Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
That was the reason I was after a dummy engine so I could mock up something. I miss being 'hands on' but have access to machine shops and as I use 3D software all day I can sneak the odd home project in

Enjoying the thread Drew, projects that I find interesting and would do myself if I had the money and space. Used to do alot of this years ago when I had a workshop and machine tools.
yeah thats the engine from the bubble! has come in handy for a lot of measurements, lots of looking at it! the g/f thinks im mental

still got more for tomorrow!

Drew
Old 24-01-12, 08:12 PM   #9
Quadcam24

Quadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the rough
top thread . top work.
Quadcam24 is offline   Reply With Quote