theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 26-12-12, 04:28 PM   #11
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Iain - don't try and compare a ZR with a ZS, thye are very different, I know because we have both.

I have never driven a focus so can not compare but I do find the ZS is very much a drivers car compared to other cars such as VW.
Old 26-12-12, 08:18 PM   #12
ianinfrance

ianinfrance is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the offers and the links. Don't think I will be paying out 7000 euros anytime soon!

I have looked at lots of cars over the years. I am concious of a potential envy issue of turning up in a bmw or a merc as my customers may get the wrong impression if you follow. To be fair most don't care but you never know.

I am at an age where I can pretty much afford most things insurance wise and have looked at Jags and Alfa's and Volvo's, Audi's etc etc, you name it, as well.

There are so many to choose from all with differing issues/problems associated with them.

Lets face it it can still be a complete lottery as to whether you buy a lemon or not even with the best of intentions and care.

So I will try to buy a car for the heart but with my head.

I really fancied a ZT, but they can be very pricey to run, and I have many other things to spend money on, other cars, I have a horse, and the means to move it around the country, a means of making and moving hay for the horses, things to cut wood for the fires and the list of tools and maintenance just goes on.

So a simpler car, designed and engineered well in the first place, in an earlier time yet still contemporary and imo attractive still, is a definite contender.

So save up a few pennies and see how the Ford and the business income bears up this year.

Happy New Year!

Ian
ianinfrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-12, 09:27 PM   #13
M17TT180

M17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the rough
I've come from a 1.8 mk1 focus to the zs180 and the difference is staggering, even tho my focus was a special edition with 17 inch alloys and handled like it was on rails the driving enjoyment was seriously lacking. My ZS is much more fun to drive and even the petrol consumption between the 2.5 and the 1.8 is good. Infact I found that doing the 20 odd miles from my house to my parents I have found that I get better mpg than the focus.
M17TT180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-12, 11:03 AM   #14
MG mad

MG mad is on a distinguished road
We have a ZT (albeit a 260) and a ZS 180, and we test drove a number of ZT 190s and 180s when we moved to Germany. ZT is, in general, the better car all round, except as a driver's car (excluding the 260 - it's hard to pick between that and a ZS). ZS is an outstanding handling car.

French prices make me feel much better about the prices in Germany. Our ZS 180 was just over 4000 euro, and was the top end of the price bracket in Germany - seem to be going for 2-4k mostly. Only ever seen one MK2 for sale though, and it was a derv (= not an option for me).

We've done a few 800km/day trips in ours, mostly on the motorways, and it's comfortable enough. Economy for a 2.5 petrol is not bad, we manage 35-36 pretty constantly at normal motorway speeds, or about 33 at autobahn speeds. Drops a bit over some of the passes in the Alps though, but fun increases exponentially.

"Driving sideways is the Meaning of Life"

1987 MG Metro - 1440cc fast road car
1988 MG Metro Turbo - standard, for now...
1970 MG Midget - 1.9L Scholar + big valve VVC + supercharger + RWD = YEEHAA!
1996 MGF 1.8i - Project Rally Car
1998 MGF Abingdon - Wife's fun car
1972 MGBGT - Project V12 MGB (Wife's money pit)
2005 MG ZT-T 260 - Wife's sensible car
2001 MG ZS 180 - LHD - sold to brother
2003 MG ZS 180 - Hurrah!
1956 MG ZA Magnette - the "wife wants to keep me busy" car
MG mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-12, 07:21 PM   #15
ianinfrance

ianinfrance is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG mad View Post
We have a ZT (albeit a 260) and a ZS 180, and we test drove a number of ZT 190s and 180s when we moved to Germany. ZT is, in general, the better car all round, except as a driver's car (excluding the 260 - it's hard to pick between that and a ZS). ZS is an outstanding handling car.

French prices make me feel much better about the prices in Germany. Our ZS 180 was just over 4000 euro, and was the top end of the price bracket in Germany - seem to be going for 2-4k mostly. Only ever seen one MK2 for sale though, and it was a derv (= not an option for me).

We've done a few 800km/day trips in ours, mostly on the motorways, and it's comfortable enough. Economy for a 2.5 petrol is not bad, we manage 35-36 pretty constantly at normal motorway speeds, or about 33 at autobahn speeds. Drops a bit over some of the passes in the Alps though, but fun increases exponentially.
Thank you for the input, interesting about the mpg on the V6, i wouldn't have expected that much. I agree ZT is a "better" car all round but I have no access to a T4 here and would go Diesel Auto as the more reliable option but again no Autobox guys for 150 miles of here. for ease of maintenance and in all probability lower repair costs the ZS wins hands down every time for me.
ianinfrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-12, 07:33 PM   #16
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
The ZT is basically BMW 5 series under the skin, especially the diesel.