theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 23-08-13, 07:11 PM   #1
Rossy

Rossy is on a distinguished road
Clutch out

Hi all was wondering if there's a how to guide or advice on taking out the gearbox to replace the clutch on the mk1 180 . Fairly competent about the motors, but used to stripping down the real mini coopers and the like, been given some horrendous quotes from locals !!! one's that are prepared to take it on others have refused ...so hence my concerns .Desperate to get her back on the road as has been a long time without my v6 growl ...fix too long hope someone can give us a heads up .... cheers ..... Oh and quotes £565 - £ 680 !!!!!
Old 23-08-13, 07:51 PM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Didn't give that a thought about a 'how to' after doing mine twice! Most of the work is stripping bits out of the way in order to access fixings etc.

From memory I did:
  • Remove battery and battery tray-helps to gain access to the clutch slave and gearbox mount.
  • Jacked up the front as high as possible and use axle stands.
  • Front wheels off.
  • Gear shift pin removed.
  • Starter motor removed.
  • Air filter and hoses removed.
  • Clutch slave removed.
  • Jack under bellhousing and support engine.
  • Removed all bellhousing bolts, bottom one near manifold downpipe pita as it won't come out and small turns.
  • I split the lower balljoints and released both inner cv joints from their cups.
  • Offside CV joint centre bearing bracket removed, allows freedom of movement when removing box and replacing.
  • Stupid fixing and tinplate cover under starter position, has a hidden bolt engine side.
  • Gearbox mount needs some faffing about to get clear but does the trick when close to dropping.
Pretty sure there are more notes elsewhere on this and by all means people chip in with other items as no doubt I have missed something as I said I was working from memory and I am no youngster anymore!

When the box is off do clean up the clutch arm and make sure it is super smooth. Also fit a lightened flywheel and new bolts!

Patience is required for refitting as the box alignment and getting it in position is a pain as too getting the offside driveshaft spline aligned and in all the way. Do not force it, just wiggle it until everything falls into place.
Old 23-08-13, 07:57 PM   #3
dean0

dean0 is on a distinguished road
I changed the gearbox on my ZS180 a few months back, nothing too difficult really, access is pretty good once you remove the battery and tray.

I know people have had trouble removing the roll pin that holds the selector shaft on, mine came out ok with a bit of a wack and a 6mm punch.

a couple of the bolts are quite tight against the exhaust pipe however they will just come out without removing the exhaust - I had to use some long nosed pliers on the shaft of one bolt to undo it as the head disappeared behind the exhaust pipe.

The box does weigh about 40kg and you don't want it hanging on the input shaft so a helping hand to remove is almost a must, it will come out from under the car too.

From memory here are the steps I took:

drain gearbox oil
remove ns wheel, split bottom ns ball joint
remove ns driveshaft
punch out pin from selector shaft
unbolt stabiliser rod from rear of box
remove battery, battery tray, ecu and airfilter
I removed the throttle body too but you can probably just about do without
remove starter motor
remove all but one or two bellhousing bolts
support engine with trolley jack
unbolt gearbox mounting, you will need to jack up the engine/gearbox to remove the 2 lower bolts
support the gearbox and remove the remaining bellhousing bolts
slide the gearbox sideways till the os driveshaft and input shaft are clear then lower the gearbox to the floor

I didn't change the clutch on mine so you are on your own now! remember to remove, clean and grease the clutch shaft

hope this helps
dean0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-13, 12:06 AM   #4
Rossy

Thanks guys for advice and Stamford would love to fit lightened flywheel but a lack of shekels prevent this !!! buying the clutch kit from C.G motorsport and the next job to do that I've been told is to replace the cam belts only done less than 24,000 mls but been off the road for so long just getting turned over now and again ,so thats more bucks plus all I have spent on discs,brakes, electrics and others fair mount up which just makes me more determine to get it all done and out for a good blast , not had the best of health over the first of this year and self employed so no work no pay , but love my zed although the wife thinks I've lost all manor of sense, when I'm out tinkering about and just sitting in her minding the good days when brand new .... after other comments from other members on other threads I think the release arm is seized so off with the gearbox ....... A big Thanks for advice and will give a report back when? I get it done ......
Old 24-08-13, 08:29 AM   #5
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Small steps, mine had been off the road for some time and lost the love, now it is back on the road, not 100% perfect but getting there.
Old 29-08-13, 09:50 AM   #6
Rossy

Well that's the gearbox out thanks to advice from guys and also getting a haynes manual !! at last , not as bad as I first thought but yeah the roll pin is a bit of apita and balancing the box on the trolley jack while getting the lower mount bolts out but resorted to the 4x2 over the wings well padded up and with a rope to control it better when lowering also put a board mdf 3/4" thick and about 4 foot long and 2 foot wide under the trolley jack to help pulling out my drive way is gravel I know not good for crawling about under a car but hey ho .... Now to get the clutch kit any recommendations ?? ... On stripping down I was told it was probably a seized clutch release lever that was part of my problems but it wasn't to bad a wee bit stiff but not seized but the clutch plate was pretty worn down in my eyes for under 24.000 miles and the release bearing was rough seems dry not a lot of grease in it though I suppose not to contaminate the plate ,took out the lever and gave it a good clean and polish up and greased and put back in moves like a dream . So this has made me even more to doubt the performance of the hydraulics once again after 2nd time replacing complete system and 3rd slave , have sent a message to Sheddist for one of his kits so hope to get that soon and installed with the new clutch ,and also been in touch with Goldie about a De-cat pipe to complete my s/s system seen as have plenty room to work at it with the box out ... now to get those bolts off the front flange their rusted up really bad !!!!!!!!!!!!!! So at last I see light at the end of the tunnel and can get her back up and running if everybody comes up trumps .....Once again the forum proves it's very worthiness in becoming a member and supporter , read all the posts from various folk on gearbox/clutch issues ... A big thanks from me and Heartbreaker....... ta
Old 29-08-13, 11:02 AM   #7
stamford
Site Owner

Good to know the help on here is valued. As already mentioned CG Motorsport are who I have used, good service etc.
Old 29-08-13, 01:05 PM   #8
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Good to know the help on here is valued. As already mentioned CG Motorsport are who I have used, good service etc.
They actually sent me the wrong clutch to be honest. I had mine done at a garage, and when they went to fit it, they found it was wrong. I was faced with either getting them to fit one of theirs from a motor factor, or put the knackered one back in and pay the labour !

As it was, they put one in and all in it cost me £450. Just make sure when ordering that they know for sure what car it's going into.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-13, 08:26 PM   #9
Rossy

just a wee follow up after taking advice and comments from other forums.. but mainly on here and especially the words and guidance from Goldie clutch bought from a local motor factor so glad didn't bow to the powers of the bay !!! cheers all and more to come .... their is a light that never goes out ........ yeah it's under my motor at the mo ...